Shader instancing in H9

3339   4   1
88 posts
Can someone please run me through this. I've done this in H8 but H9 is different. I don't want to instance the geo just the shaders onto the geo which have been copied onto points.

Thanks,
Bob
7722 posts
Does this help?
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1050&Itemid=216 [sidefx.com]
88 posts
Well that's for instancing geometry. I want to instance textures. The way I did it in H8 doesn't seem to work in H9. Also, my memory must really be bad ‘cause I know I’ve done this before but I randomize when the animating texture starts based on rand $PT or $ID but neither of those work in the shop or cop file read, so how can I do this?
88 posts
If I remember correctly in H8 I created a string attribute vm_surface and placed the image file with expression in back ticks and this worked but I've tried that in H9 with shop_vm_surface opdef: op: and nothing works.

Please help.
Staff
2592 posts
bobster
If I remember correctly in H8 I created a string attribute vm_surface and placed the image file with expression in back ticks and this worked but I've tried that in H9 with shop_vm_surface opdef: op: and nothing works.

Please help.

There are several ways to do this. One is using the new material overrides. See the attached.

Another way would be to create a string attribute which matches the parameter name of the texture.

Attachments:
materials.hip.gz (18.5 KB)

• Quick Links