Exporters in Apprentice

7479   8   0
5 posts
I left modeling for a while, but I'm back again. I was wondering what the exporting formats on Houdini apprentice are, whether they are limited to the two given in the demo version, or whether the ‘real’ version has the same exporters as importers?

Thanks in advance
32 posts
I believe you can export OBJ even in an non-paid apprentice version. If I remember correctly it's just as simple as routing the flow to a FIle node and setting it to write OBJ type by extension. I'd have to go back and check to make sure it worked but give that a shot. And of course you can use the standard BGEO format as well, which is the Houdini native mesh format.
-nimajneb
5 posts
nimajneb
I believe you can export OBJ even in an non-paid apprentice version. If I remember correctly it's just as simple as routing the flow to a FIle node and setting it to write OBJ type by extension. I'd have to go back and check to make sure it worked but give that a shot. And of course you can use the standard BGEO format as well, which is the Houdini native mesh format.

is Obj the only format?
I'm thinking I might use this program in conjunction with unity, as I dislike blender, this is cheap and I find this better than any other 3D app I have tried.
7722 posts
No, it's any exportable geometry format that Houdini supports.
5 posts
edward
No, it's any exportable geometry format that Houdini supports.
So I can export to any of the formats I can import?
7722 posts
No, because not all geometry formats support both import and export.
5 posts
edward
So it can export to .bgeo .dts, .obj, and .mmd(I think that was the ending), only?
I only ask because the features section on exporters and importers is unclear -it gives a list of geometry types, but lists them all under import/export - there's no differentiation.
69 posts
This format is a fileType that had been optimized and utilized for the Torque Game Engine since it's inception, at Sierra/Dynamix, some time ago. While specifically intended to be read by the TGE, it is a interesting format nonetheless….

There is a good feature list inside the formats, although I'm not certain how many in that list could parse out to other platforms….NonLinearAnimation, material animation, UV animation, morph animation, skeletal animation, auto LOD's, environmental mapping, self-light mapping, translucent mapping etc; a fairly robust list for a format intended to be pushed across a 56k dialup modem……. I like it.

Any questions on those formats or engine scripting, I can probably answer.

The Torque ROP only works in the lowest price point version of Houdini….not the demo version.

Houdini cannot read/Import the DTS/DSQ formats.

Good luck!
7722 posts
Boaal
edward
So it can export to .bgeo .dts, .obj, and .mmd(I think that was the ending), only?
I only ask because the features section on exporters and importers is unclear -it gives a list of geometry types, but lists them all under import/export - there's no differentiation.

Er, offhand, I don't know which of them. I think I recall seeing a table somewhere about this in the help. Just try exporting and if it's works, then you're good.
  • Quick Links