Separating Parts

5527   4   1
48 posts
What is the best way to separate parts? I want to separate my models boots, and a few other objects that were modeled into a single mesh, so I can export individual objects into Zbrush and create final textures.

Everytime I try and separate the boots, the body mesh is still there, just hidden by the node. So if I have the boots active and save geometry, it exports the whole body, not just the boots.
Desktop -Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad|8GB OCZ DDR3|Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia GTX280 (2) SLI | 1.5TB | Liquid Cooled

Laptop - Sager Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad | 4GB DDR2 | Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia 9800M GTX 1GB
519 posts
Group your geometry in groups with the group SOP then use the ROP or wahtever to save the groups to disk?
1145 posts
I'm assuming you know how to use the Group sop, so you can group out the specific parts you want to separate.

If you just want to save out the separated geometry, then group those parts, use the group name to delete what you don't want to save, the RMB on the Delete sop and save out the geometry from there.

If you want something a bit more flexible and permanent, then go through the same grouping procedure (create sensible group names), the create a series of Geometry objects and in each of these use an Object Merge sop and call in the specific geometry you want there.

Separate out your whole character that way, then turn the display flag off for your original geometry.
at the top of the Object Merge nodes.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
1145 posts
Here's a simple example.

Attachments:
group_torus.hip (76.0 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
48 posts
Thanks for the replies, the model does have GROUPS so I will look into them. I had a procedure today and they pretty much knocked me out all day.. dang it. Was planning to learn Houdini more while off work

Will post back when I am more “awake”..
Desktop -Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad|8GB OCZ DDR3|Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia GTX280 (2) SLI | 1.5TB | Liquid Cooled

Laptop - Sager Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad | 4GB DDR2 | Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia 9800M GTX 1GB
  • Quick Links