linux and hd 10 licensing

5433   6   2
2 posts
I have 2 questions.

For ubuntu 9.04 64bit should i get the gcc4.1 or 4.2 installer? I assume the 4.2 will work because 9.04 is at version 4.3.3, but just want to double check. Here in south africa we dont have wonderful internet and i dont want to download both to try.

From recent forum threads it sounds like apprentice hd 10 licensing is still buggy, even the faqs still talk about version 9. So if i buy a hd licence now, will it be usable for version 10… and will I be able to use it on windows and linux (dual boot). Whats the process if i need to reinstall 32bit linux instead and get hd 10 running again.

I just don't want to buy a licence and then get stuck with a licensing issue if i have to switch operating systems.
83 posts
Hi there

GCC 4.2 (lenny) is the one you want

With regards to licensing, you can either run on Linux or windows, and if you have to reinstall your operating system you simply send the licence back and redeem it when you've installed your new operating system
Staff
1449 posts
if i buy a hd licence now, will it be usable for version 10
yes, the on-line store issues version 10.0 of the licenses, so Houdini 10.0 will run on them

will I be able to use it on windows and linux (dual boot)
the official stance on dual boot still has not changed: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1026&Itemid=320 [sidefx.com]

Whats the process if i need to reinstall 32bit linux instead and get hd 10 running again
just like morpheus101 said, to move the license keys from one machine to another, or during the OS reinstallation, you first return the keys and then you redeem them back: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1208&Itemid=273#transfer [sidefx.com]
156 posts
Rafal, does the official stance on dual boot also apply to master licenses?
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Staff
2540 posts
Yes.

If you have floating licenses, it is wise to put that license on a separate machine then you can freely dual boot in to any os on your workstation and just point to the license server machine.
There's at least one school like the old school!
2 posts
Thanks for the feedback, guess I'll stick to the free install till everything else is sorted. Its a shame you get locked to an OS though, especially with apprentice which is much more for experimentation and learning than the commercial versions.
89 posts
rouanvde
Its a shame you get locked to an OS though, especially with apprentice which is much more for experimentation and learning than the commercial versions.

I didnt interpret SESI's position as “locking” you to an OS, but that they dont officially support such configurations, which is fair enough IMO. If you want to give each OS the same hostname and see if the license works, that's up to you :wink:
  • Quick Links