Nodes created inside my HDA come with strange attributes

5220   8   1
696 posts
Hi there,

I'm working with a digital asset that I carried from another project and every time I create a new node, be it OBJ or SOP, it comes with a tab called Spare with about a hundred parameters and they all carry an expression bezier() in it. I tried creating another file, duplicating the HDA in a new location and installing it in the new blank file. After that I noticed the problem stopped, but after a few changes and maybe a couple saves and new interface controls created, it went back to creating that crazy tab and I can't figure out how to prevent it from doing so.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?!

Thanks!

PS: I included a screenshot

Attachments:
spare.png (60.1 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
1072 posts
There was a bug fixed in 10.0.313 where multiparms with internal names that contained digits would incorrectly create spare channels during a load. Perhaps that's what you're encountering?
696 posts
hey there,

I just installed build 314 and I still get the same error… could it be that I need to cleanup my file somehow?

Cheers
Toronto - ON
156 posts
If you click the parameter again, it will come up as the digit. See how the parameter is grayed out? That means you are looking at the expression, but because its a keyframe it just shows you bezier. You can tell its a keyframe because its a green color.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Staff
1072 posts
rafaels
I just installed build 314 and I still get the same error… could it be that I need to cleanup my file somehow?

Maybe. You could put down a new instance, delete all the spare parameters via the gear menu in the parameter dialog pane, and then RMB on the instance and choose “Save Operator Type” to save the asset. This will probably only help if the asset shows “Save Spare Parameters” enabled in the Edit Type Properties dialog.
696 posts
it's getting really weird now… I did everything like you said, Ondrej, cleaned up all the nodes in the HDA, saved it and started a new scene without loading the HDA. I then created a new geo node and it came with all the spare parameters as if the scene still had my HDA in it! Although I could see from the OTL Manager that it wasn't loaded.

cheers
Toronto - ON
Staff
1072 posts
I think I misunderstood. I thought instances of your asset were getting the spare parameters, not other nodes.

It sounds more like you saved some permanent defaults. Just delete all the spare parameters from the node in question and choose “Save as Permanent Defaults” from the gear menu in the parameter dialog. Alternatively, just delete the corresponding file from $HOME/houdini10.0/presets/.
696 posts
Ondrej
I thought instances of your asset were getting the spare parameters, not other nodes.

What happens is that anything I create in that scene where I have my HDA comes with spare parameters. the spare parameters happen to coincide with attributes for some Null geo that I have as handles in my HDA. And even after I close that specific file where I'm editing the HDA and start a brand new file, everything I create comes with those same spare parameters even though there's no instance of my HDA in the scene and the digital asset is not even loaded. I have to quit Houdini and open it again to clear whatever is happening.

Can I trash the whole preferences? Would Houdini rebuild it?!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
Staff
1072 posts
rafaels
Can I trash the whole preferences? Would Houdini rebuild it?!

Yes, but I recommend renaming $HOME/houdini10.0 to something else in case there is anything saved in there that you'll want later.
  • Quick Links