Modeling a Perfume Bottle

4716   8   1
6 posts
I want to give my self projects so I can learn and build up a nice reel using Houdini Apprentice. I'm going to start out small with a model of a perfume bottle. I guess I'll use the forum to post my questions and progress as I slowly go through this.

So my first question to start off is, how do I create an image plan as a guide for modeling? I have the image of the type of bottle I want to make and I want to use it as a guide.
2624 posts
Hi ,

Hit D over the viewport to bring up your display options , then select the background tab. There you can use an image directly or a COP network. Be sure to check the box “ use Background images ” to display the image in the viewport. I also uncheck the box at the bottom “apply Operations to all split views ”

handy shortcut key

CTRL + B = makes your viewing pane increase to full screen. This works in viewing panes like the network view , parmeters view etc.

Space + B = will take you to a split of 4 views from the default single perspective view , position mouse over a view ie perspective , top , side etc . Space + B , will activate that viewport and will take you back to the single view.

SPACE BAR + either keys 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 will cycle through views , ie top , side , front etc

Do bear in mind , each view can have its own display options by using the D key and unchecking the “apply Operations to all split views ” box

If you get really stuck maybe a video might be in order my new toy screen flow !

rob
Gone fishing
6 posts
How do i keep the image “locked”, what i mean is, the image seems to not move along with the grid. If im modeling in the front perspective, and i zoom in and out, the image stays the same size, If i pan left-right or up and down the image dosent follow the grid. How do i get the image plane to stay with my geomarty as i model?
711 posts
Hi happycow, in the 3D Viewport tab of the display options, uncheck Automatically Place Image.
6 posts
Ok that works thanks!, next question, is there an easy way to get transparencey on my geomatry as I model?
2624 posts
Pipe your image though a COP network ? .The display settings give you access to pick a cop network !

r
Gone fishing
6 posts
circusmonkey
Pipe your image though a COP network ? .The display settings give you access to pick a cop network !

r
Well i want the geomatry im modeling with to bepartialy transparent not the image
2624 posts
Eeek seems like I cannot read today. Try adding a shader to your geometry ?
Gone fishing
6 posts
circusmonkey
Eeek seems like I cannot read today. Try adding a shader to your geometry ?
yea that might work how do i add a shader with transparency in it?
  • Quick Links