Weird artifacting when using shatter sop on Object

6625   10   1
96 posts
I created a vase with a curve and attached a shatter node to break up the object. When I establish the shatter it brings up this weird artifacting on the object and its starting to get annoying. It should just display the cuts in the vase but instead it messes up the normals. Can someone help me clean this up please? I have attached a photo to explain what im talking about.

Thanks!

Hairston

Attachments:
vase ambiguity.jpg (277.4 KB)

47 posts
shatter sop pretty much never works

try this:

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=9119 [forums.odforce.net]
to a man with only a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
96 posts
So is this the result of a bug or is it something that I may be doing unknowingly?
349 posts
You can adjust the frequencey, the rows and coloums and the other cutting settings, but dont hold up much hope. For an object as relitivley simple as a vase, I would use cookies by hand.

See attached file.

Cheers.

Attachments:
breakup.hipnc (140.1 KB)

96 posts
Thank you Ragupasta for the helpful information. I cannot view the file at this time but I will when I get off work. Could you explain how I might go about finding information on the cookie sop as well as the workflow to set it up (something brief)? Would the houdini documentation be sufficient in explaining how I set up the cuts and usage of the sop? thanks again!

Hairston
47 posts
try the break sop as well. it will keep your networks cleaner…

but also check out the thread i posted earlier over at odforce, it's the most stable way i've found of shattering objects
to a man with only a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
96 posts
Thank you artzor. I will try that when I get home. I have used the break before but I only noticed one actual break on the object. Is it possible to increase the breaks or even add another break sop to the model itself? I was wondering if that was at all possible or if it was limited to one break. Do you happen to have the link to the odforce thread you created, or would I search under the name “artzor”? Thanks again.

Hairston
349 posts
I agree about Johners vornonoi fracture OTL, it is very good. As for the cookie sop method. Ive named each individual sop descriptivley enough for you to understand what is doing what.

Cheers.
96 posts
Ok, thank you very much again ragupasta. I am home now and will be testing out the simulation this evening. It is very much appreciated.

Also, I noticed that cardanfx has tutorials on breaking objects using veronoise if anyone is interested in learning about this.

Thank you
96 posts
ragupasta
You can adjust the frequencey, the rows and coloums and the other cutting settings, but dont hold up much hope. For an object as relitivley simple as a vase, I would use cookies by hand.

See attached file.

Cheers.

Thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to do this for me. I really really appreciate that…its been most helpful
349 posts
You are most welcome. 8)
  • Quick Links