Beginners Q's (switching from maya)

28588   29   8
24 posts
im using 10.0.249.5, or should i use the production build 10.0.295?

I have to re-format my computer anyway as im using windows 7 rc1, and i want to put the RTM on, so im going to dual boot with archlinux. How do i transfer my license from windows to linux?
Staff
2540 posts
I would try downloading one of the current daily builds. Today's build is 10.0.365. Fyi we increment the build number each day.

You can press on the chages link to see just what was changed between the various builds.
There's at least one school like the old school!
24 posts
moving to the latest daily build seems to have helped a little, i also formatted for windows 7 RTM, updated graphics cards and tweaked the fluid seperation and i get better performance. Having a little trouble with the fluids bounce. I have both the container and the fluid to have almost no bounce and yet the fluid bounces like i hit it with a baseball bat. Is there anything i can do to speed up the guide geometry? could i disable the specular on the balls or change them to something else? i don't have many in the scene but it still feels sluggish with them on.
24 posts
Hey, can someone help with the fluid please. I cant seem to get the fluid to act correctly. With the exception of the initial bounce everything else i think is fine, i have both the fluid and the containers bounce set to 0.1 and friction on both at 0.5, the fluid has a surface tension of 30, and a viscosity of 0.002

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvwSnZXnWs [youtube.com]
Staff
2540 posts
I betcha if you did that with a real fluid in a bottle it would do that… It's more of a splash than a bounce. The fluid hits those lobes on the bottom of the bottle and get focused upward… I wonder if running a Point Jitter SOP on the source particle fluid to add randomness to the initial point positons would help out… The Point Jitter SOP was added to create random point positions from regular point sources for particle fluids.

But there should be a way to control that initial upward splash up the sides of the bottle.

Drag DOP for those few frames…
Use POPs and a speed limit to knock back the velocity…

Hope that helps a bit.
There's at least one school like the old school!
349 posts
Just to add, on the particle fluid surface node, make sure you check to delete lone particles, as there are one or two floating around on their own, might look a little odd.

Enable the mesh's visability temporarily and see if thats the case.
24 posts
wow i love Houdini. I figured that was how water would react. Got a bottle filled it with water and shook it a bit, and the water did go all the way to the top of the bottle, not quite as far but i cant replicate what im doing inside of houdini. I got the simulation just how i wanted and then decreased the particle seperation to 0.1 and the simulation is almost completely different. I have tried meshing the surface on a previous simulation where i had no surface tension and friction was at full for both (looked more like goo) and found that killing lone particles helped the final look, i also forgot to put a collision distance in, so i had to use the collision object with an isooffset to cut away the fluid, but then i just got lines on the fluid surface that i couldnt get rid of so im trying again.

Simulating 0.1 particle seperation at the moment, been running for 5 hours and its done about 20%
24 posts
the simulation finished finally (think because the collision geometry needs to have a high resolution it takes a while.

trying to get good surface settings, i find metaballs look better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPT1K9A3qas [youtube.com]
1 posts
I have a question about not having ring select. In that case, what is the most efficient way to add four edges going around a cube (one edge per face in a loop)?

I'm a beginner modeler trying to evaluate whether it would help me to use Houdini Apprentice to make models rather than Hexagon.

In Hexagon I would select an edge of the cube, ring select, connect.

Thanks for any thoughts.
OMG SAVE THE CHILDREN
2199 posts
use the polysplit sop in Quad strip mode, add a single split on the first edge and turn on close path.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
  • Quick Links