Cookie node deformations when adding transform..pls help

3353   6   1
96 posts
Hey everyone,

I have a problem with the cookie sop now. I am breaking up one of my pieces and when I use the fractal and transform to move it I get these horrible deformations AGAIN. This is similar to whats happening to the break and shatter node. I am not sure what I should change but I cant seem to work around it for anything. I have attached a pic for help. Please, any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Hairston

Attachments:
Screwed up.JPG (385.9 KB)

7722 posts
I haven't used the Cookie SOP in a long while now. But back in the day, I don't think it handled inputs which had more than one connected component of geometry. Have you tried using multiple Break SOPs instead?
96 posts
edward
I haven't used the Cookie SOP in a long while now. But back in the day, I don't think it handled inputs which had more than one connected component of geometry. Have you tried using multiple Break SOPs instead?

Yes but it causes weird deformations in the look because of the normals. The break causes problems in the actual grouping of geometry I believe. I did find out that you can remove a group in the group mask (inside group) and that sometimes fixes it. I just want to get a grasp on the ambiguities of Houdini RBD's. It is somewhat upsetting that these issues havent been addressed or resolved.
7722 posts
hairston630
Yes but it causes weird deformations in the look because of the normals. The break causes problems in the actual grouping of geometry I believe. I did find out that you can remove a group in the group mask (inside group) and that sometimes fixes it. I just want to get a grasp on the ambiguities of Houdini RBD's. It is somewhat upsetting that these issues havent been addressed or resolved.

The workflow for the Break SOP is to place multiple of them with fine control. Once done, you just append an Assemble SOP to add groups, fix normals, etc.

This problem by the way is totally independent of RBD. RBD is just the dynamics part and the shattering/breaking of geometry is fundamentally a modeling problem.
96 posts
edward
hairston630

The workflow for the Break SOP is to place multiple of them with fine control. Once done, you just append an Assemble SOP to add groups, fix normals, etc.

This problem by the way is totally independent of RBD. RBD is just the dynamics part and the shattering/breaking of geometry is fundamentally a modeling problem.

Thank you edward. That was a wealth of information. I do have one question. Where, inside the assemble sop, can I fix the normals? It has bothered me for such a long time how to fix those abnormalities. Oh, one more…When you use the break and shatter tools, how do you get rid of those horrible, jagged, and deformed primitives that are sticking out of the actual breaks in geometry? Thank you!

Hairston
7722 posts
hairston630
Where, inside the assemble sop, can I fix the normals?

I'm not quite sure but trying it out seems to do the trick when I just apply the Assemble SOP after the Break SOP.

how do you get rid of those horrible, jagged, and deformed primitives that are sticking out of the actual breaks in geometry?

The reason why someone else on the forum recommended using the Break SOP is to that you can fix each break as you see them by changing the Break SOP's parameters. Don't forget to also try the ones on the “Boolean Settings” tab.
96 posts
edward
hairston630
Where, inside the assemble sop, can I fix the normals?

I'm not quite sure but trying it out seems to do the trick when I just apply the Assemble SOP after the Break SOP.

how do you get rid of those horrible, jagged, and deformed primitives that are sticking out of the actual breaks in geometry?

The reason why someone else on the forum recommended using the Break SOP is to that you can fix each break as you see them by changing the Break SOP's parameters. Don't forget to also try the ones on the “Boolean Settings” tab.

Understood. Yeah I have learned that by using the cookie sop. I have been trying to learn how to build these manually without using a reference. I have considered using the voronoi to break up my objects but alot of times the pieces break up too small to be realistic.

EDIT: YEP ASSEMBLE WORKED! THANK YOU!!!
  • Quick Links