.bashrc and .cshrc hot install

13069   16   0
60 posts
I want to install the Ocean tool kit, but i don't understand how to install it, i feel so f*cking stupid.

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/ocean/docs/ [anusf.anu.edu.au]
i'm trying to install from binary version.. don't get it, what's .bashrc and .cshrc and how to i change the houdini path in those files?

cheers and thx!
7725 posts
What OS are you using?
60 posts
i'm mainly on OSX, but because of the nvidia bugs in snow leopard i'm also working in win 7 64bit, so i got apprentice installed on win7 also.
7725 posts
Then you should follow the installation instructions listed under “Win32/Win64”, which make no mention of .cshrc or .bashrc.
60 posts
Alright, so i got it to work under win 7, sweet, thanks.

So how do i install the houdini path under OSX?
What's the different between .bashrc and .cshrc and what are they doing?

thanks
320 posts
OSX has a terminal app located in your Utilities folder. If you open it and go to it's preferences you should be able to set which type of shell it's using. I would set it to use bash.

Now go to your home directory and find a file named .bashrc. If it doesn't exist yet then you can create it with a plain text editor. This file is used to define environment variables, setup the shell preferences and define aliases among other things.

One problem is OSX doesn't display hidden files in the Finder by default so you're going to have to google for ways to make them show up. (any file with a period in front of it's name “ie .bashrc” is hidden by default)

The next problem you may encounter is figuring out what your path needs to be in the environment variable you're setting up. I usually use the terminal to “cd” into whatever folder I need the path for and use the “pwd” command to print the path.
www.alan-warren.com
60 posts
Alan, really thank you for that, i now understands more of what's going one!

Although i'm still having problems! I've tried to ad a file in my home dir named .bachrc
then i when to the terminal (the terminal is set to bash) typed env to make sure it got added. nut nothing….
then i tried to add the path to .bash_profile and now i can see the houdini path in the terminal when i type env…

but still, it's not working, HOT isn't getting imported.

please, thanks!
60 posts
this is what i'm putting in the files:
export HOUDINI_PATH=“/_Lib/Houdini/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&”
320 posts
klasse

I've never installed HOT on a Mac so I'm honestly not sure. It sounds like you're close though.

You should be able to echo the variable from a Houdini text port as well. echo $HOUDINI_PATH

Is there a Houdini.env file provided on the Mac? If there is you may want to try defining the variable there instead.
www.alan-warren.com
60 posts
i don't get anything when i'm doing:
echo $HOUDINI_PATH

and yes there's a Houdini.env among the config files. i tried to set the houdini path in there too, but still no luck.

thanks for the effort though!
7725 posts
klasse

First make sure that directory is valid. Secondly, try using a colon (:) instead of a using semi-colon (;).
60 posts
i feel like an idiot. But still no luck getting this to work…
tired changing ; to : but nothing….

and the path is valid, i can do a ‘cd’ in to that path from the terminal.

thanks, and anyone got more tips on getting this to work?
320 posts
Try this in your .bashrc and make sure you completely shut down your terminal between testing changes.

HOUDINI_PATH=/_Lib/Houdini/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&

Are you using Houdini 10.0.0401?

Also, to confirm if your changes are taking place I'd make sure you're using echo from the hscript textport inside Houdini. (and you will need to restart Houdini after every change made to the variable)
www.alan-warren.com
60 posts
Alanw
Try this in your .bashrc and make sure you completely shut down your terminal between testing changes.

HOUDINI_PATH=/_Lib/Houdini/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&

Are you using Houdini 10.0.0401?

Also, to confirm if your changes are taking place I'd make sure you're using echo from the hscript textport inside Houdini. (and you will need to restart Houdini after every change made to the variable)

if i put that in the .bashrc nothing happens.
if i put it in the .bash_profile file i geet a syntax error:
syntax error near unexpected token `&'
60 posts
if i do this:
export HOUDINI_PATH=“/_Library/Houdini/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&”

in the .bash_profile file.
then go to applications and running the “Houdini Shell.terminal” and then runing the command:
hconfig -ap
now i can see my houdini path in that long list.

but i don't see anything when i'm opening up a hscript texport from inside houdini and running “echo $HOUDINI_PATH”

can there be a bug? i'm running 10.0.422
320 posts
klasse
if i do this:
export HOUDINI_PATH=“/_Library/Houdini/hotbin_osx_H10.0.401_1.0rc8;&”

in the .bash_profile file.
then go to applications and running the “Houdini Shell.terminal” and then runing the command:
hconfig -ap
now i can see my houdini path in that long list.

but i don't see anything when i'm opening up a hscript texport from inside houdini and running “echo $HOUDINI_PATH”

can there be a bug? i'm running 10.0.422

I don't think there's a bug. If hconfig finds your variable then it sounds good to me.

The HOT documentation states that you must use the same version of Houdini that the pre-compiled binary was compiled with, which looks like 10.0.401. This is most likely your problem. It looks like the .401 build is still available as well, so I'd try that. Or, if you're feeling brave try compiling HOT from source.
www.alan-warren.com
60 posts
i'll wait for a new build

thank you so much for all the help!!!
  • Quick Links