H 10.0.401 IPR (Mantra) render problems

13649   10   0
46 posts
Hello everyone,

I just started using H10 as I am trying to remain current but I am running into a problem.

I have been trying to get through the PyroFX tutorials here at Sidefx.com and i am seeing a running theme: Mantra seems broken. What happens is that I set up my scene just like in the tutorials and when I go for a render it just hangs there. It doesn't actually freeze the App or computer, it just gives me a render viewer that never renders anything.

Further, when I set up my scene again (from scratch) but I do not turn the cylinder into a PyroFX object IPR and free renders work just fine. THEN I turn the Cylinder into a PyroFX object and everything seems to work fine. IPR works, free rendering works and everything is all hunky dory until I save the scene, close the app and reopen the saved scene. IPR and free rendering do the exact same thing as before. If I kill the Pyro network then IPR will start rendering the cylinder and when I turn it back into a PyroFX object IPR works and free rendering works (bottom left Film Spool button). It will work for a bit and then just stop updating in IPR.

If I tell IPR to stop rendering it will hang the app and I have to kill the process.

I have just updated my nVidia drivers to 190.62 so I am up to date there. I have uninstalled H10 twice now and did a new DL of the app and have now reinstalled it a 3rd time.

Any help would be appreciated

Computer specs:
Dell XPS 270
Intel Core 2 Duo E6b80 @ 3.00GHz
EDIT - nVidia GeForce 8800 - EDIT
2 gigs of Ram
Raid 1 500 GB storage
2 X Dell wide screen monitors
nForce chipset (up to date)
8 posts
Hi Barad_Dur

I have the SAME proplem.

I followed the same FX-toturial, and ran into the same “nothing happend”problem, and I tried the same “solutions” as you tried and others like changing, output driver and different parameters like update time, resolutions etc.. Nothing have solved the problem yet.

now:
1. My “view mantra” mico-render works prefect. .. and really looks great.
2. My “Render view” does not. (mantra node and camera is present).

Any ideas whats the problem or how to solve the problem?

I really hope someone has an idea for a solution.

Many thanks in advance

Quard Core
6 GB Ram
8000 Gts
Edited by - Oct. 24, 2009 12:37:07
Q6600 2.4 Ghz. 6GB RAM 8800gts. 320 mb.
12507 posts
I have found (and reported) problems with Mantra with IPR when it comes to the single Apprentice license you are entitled to. I have found that you can start IPR and get going ok. After you launch other renders (from the ROP or the Viewport render button) it cannot acquire an additional license again and might even interfere with your IPR session.

When you get these types of licensing conflicts, it is often not resolvable until you restart Houdini Apprentice completely Side Effects should look at this behaviour as it gives Mantra a bad name. Perhaps Apprentice users could be granted an additional license to ensure regular and IPR renders don't clash?
Edited by - Oct. 8, 2009 13:35:27
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
Staff
1450 posts
One workaround you may try is to use local apprentice licensing mode. I'm not sure it will solve the issue, but it's worth a try.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=273 [sidefx.com]

Also, note that you can choose the licensing mode in one of the steps during the installation process.
8 posts
First thing first - thank your for your help.

Regarding the “apprentice licensing mode” upgrading did not solve the problem. I had access on a frinds fully licensend Houdini, and the same problem occoured. Even rebuilding the entire scene from scratch.

Now I am really in despair

thx jason_iversen for reporting it. It may in the future solve it.
and rafal I follow u but it seems like its not a license error though I dont know what else it could be. ????

Hope I find a way.
Staff
1450 posts
Hmm.. If it's not licensing, then I am not sure what it could be. You already mentioned that you've upgraded, but now, the only suggestion I have is to try installing the newest daily build of Houdini (something like 10.0.424 or higher). There were some fixes in 10.0.408 and 10.0.416 concerning the threads, and if the problem on your machine is related to that, then upgrading may help.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1207&Itemid=273#version [sidefx.com]
8 posts
great observation - im getting right on it. thx again.
536 posts
Hello,

Yeah I'm testing Houdini 10.0.401 Xp x32 at our school right now, and it is giving me the same type of render bugs. Figured I would add on to this thread just so the great conscious knows some one who is not doing Pyro had the same problem on the commercial version. Mostly I am using heavy instancing, and delayed read on the main project I'm testing, but breaking it down to the basics of it and still having the aforementioned problems.

I'm waiting for the school software manager to update the version number to try that solution… hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

The Mac x64 version seems fine, but my friend is giving that the try doing other things, particles and dynamics, mostly non-rendering.
536 posts
The higher build works, 10.0.429
8 posts
Hope ur right.

Was really close to give up!

Ill try it out and repost.

fingeres crossed lol
8 posts
OMG OMG OMG!!!!

It worked! thx ur the best.

Eventhough the solution was simple “keep updating” it totally worked!

Build 430 works.
  • Quick Links