Fur Curl?

11446   8   1
527 posts
Im trying to find a curl/bend attrib control for the fur.

One could try cheating with frizz to curl the fur but that would really ruin the point of frizz.

Is there a way to achieve/control curl so the hairs don't come straight out?
soho vfx
Staff
329 posts
Wren
Is there a way to achieve/control curl so the hairs don't come straight out?

This can be implemented with some modifications to the CVEX shaders in the Fur Object. See: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1409&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]
527 posts
Interesting… That cleared up a lot of how the fur system works.

I'm continuing the testing here at work. I don't know if I can get a TD to look at it until I'm done my testing. Is there a way I could get a sample scene with a bend/curl attrib setup? As I assume it would be very different than something spiraling around a clump guide shown in the video.

my email is:
warren@sohovfx.com

ps. How are the noises in the system calculated? ie, frizz, clumping position, gaurd hair length calculated? Are they volume noises or 2d?
soho vfx
511 posts
I have modified our fur system here to allow for fur curling in the direction of the comb.
It's pretty simple SOP and VOPSOP stuff done to the guide hair curve geometry.
Basically, I duplicated part of the network so that I had both un-combed (guides pointing straight out along N) and combed guides, then I simply blend their shape together, masked by a root to tip Ramp.
What this does is make the hair stand on end at the root then bend towards the combed direction (based on the ramp parameter).

The next step is to use a third comb attribute (that starts off being a copy of the main comb) to be used to paint the tip curl direction. What this would achieve is a controllable S shape… this at least makes it possible to comb hair from the temple of a head, along the side, curving over and behind the ear, then down. A basic requirement for many hair styles.

S
527 posts
Thank you for the tip… I'll try to see if I can get that going.
soho vfx
Staff
329 posts
Wren
ps. How are the noises in the system calculated? ie, frizz, clumping position, gaurd hair length calculated? Are they volume noises or 2d?

Frizz is noises, random hair length, etc. are indexed by “hairid” and “hairdist” values in the “fur/shopnet1/furstyle” CVEX shader. Clumping uses the “Distribution Seed” parameter in the “Clump” tab.
527 posts
In the master class fur video where the coiling attribute is added there is this tangent asset that is used. Is that a custom asset?
soho vfx
Staff
329 posts
Wren
In the master class fur video where the coiling attribute is added there is this tangent asset that is used. Is that a custom asset?

It was a custom asset. It's basically a VOP SOP that assumes the curves and point numbers follows a simple pattern.

Attachments:
fur_tangent.otl (6.3 KB)

527 posts
ooooh… Thank you! I can't wait to try it out! :wink:
soho vfx
  • Quick Links