Assigning materials/shaders in SOP possible or not?

5603   9   1
58 posts
Hi
I do some lessons from 3dbuzz and have following problem
I get new geo,go in SOP and have box and grid created
and now I want to assign 2 different material to those object
I can't but if I create 2 different geo's in OBJ box and grid then I can ,at this stage I have to have in SOP those two object together
Best regards,
Ben
Best regards,
Ben
1631 posts
Hey Ben,

There are two ways to do what you want:

a. Append a Shader SOP to each Box & Grid SOP, assign the shader with each Shader SOP & merge the geometry.

b. Append a Group SOP to each Box & Grid SOP, assign unique or identifying names to each, for example “box” & “grid”, merge the geometry then append a Shader SOP. In the Shader SOP, under the Primary Shaders tab, click on the “More” button to add one more set of parameters, set the first Group parameter to “box” & select the shader you want. Do the same for the “grid” group with the second set of parameters.

The above assumes you're using Houdini 6.0 & above. If you're using 5.5, there are already a few set of parameters available in the Shader SOP which performs exactly the same as I described above.

Cheers!
steven
48 posts
Steven,

I needed to use an Objectmerge and use part of an object in another object .. however the Shader SHOP had assigened the materials high up in the COP tree. How do you remove materials at the SOP level??

Thanks,
Robert
Adtech Communications Group
48 posts
Steven,

I needed to use an Objectmerge and use part of an object in another object .. however the Shader SHOP had assigened the materials high up in the COP tree. How do you remove materials at the SOP level??

Thanks,
Robert
48 posts
Steven,

Thanks,
Robert
48 posts
Steven,

Thanks,
Robert
48 posts
Steven,

Thanks,
Robert
225 posts
not sure but i think adding a new shader sop will override the old one, as long as the layer does'nt change
1631 posts
Hey Robert,

You can use an Attribute SOP to delete the “shop_vm_surface” attribute or all “shop_*” attributes.

Cheers!
steven
48 posts
Sorry about all the repeating messages … everytime I posted it gave me an error .. so I thought it wasn't posted.

Anyway, the Attribute SOP has a “delete attribute” field. That did it!

Robert
  • Quick Links