VOP POPs ramp problem

6022   9   0
2624 posts
Hi All,
I have created a voppop that can sort particles into 3 user defined groups. I wanted to be able to change the amount of pops in each group over the course of $T . I created a ramp to do this

Plugging in a ramp sends the accel x y z values crazy and the pops in the flock end up just jittering. Can anyone tell me what is going on as it has me stumped why plugging in a ramp should give me crazy results.

See a noted scene attached

rob

Attachments:
pop_flockingthree_leaders.hip (208.4 KB)

Gone fishing
606 posts
Looks like the particles that are added to grpA retain their earlier group assignment as well, and thus try to follow 2 leaders at the same time..

eetu.
2624 posts
Thanks eetu that seems like another problem

Rob
Gone fishing
2624 posts
I have tried to further isolate the problem with this simple scene. ( attached ) If you pull up a details view and look at the assignments for the points they are supposed to get assigned 1 of 3 attributes. So at any 1 frame in the animation they have only 1 of the three attributes assigned.
Note as the animation runs points end up being assigned 2 attributes ie they gain membership of grp a and c . This would point to there being a mistake with the way I am filtering off membership of the groups. Can anyone give me a pointer as to why my set up fails or a better way of creating user define groups.

Rob

Attachments:
voppop_groupmembership_problem.hip (98.7 KB)

Gone fishing
45 posts
Hi,

a question. Do you need to have 3 different attributes holding
the particle ids or would it work the same using a single attribute
holding a “group id” for each particle ?
2624 posts
Good question I guess it would be possible to use a single attribute holding group Id for each particle.

rob
Gone fishing
45 posts
Just a try

Attachments:
voppop_groupmembership_problem_test.hipnc (78.0 KB)

2624 posts
Hi john ,
Watch the movie it might give you a better idea of why I am exploring particles leaving and joining groups. This version uses a vop pop that randomly assigns 1 of 3 colours using a ramp to drive a bias value.

Had a look at your scene file nice idea and use of a int value to drive colour

Rob

Attachments:
flock_3_leaders_v002.mov (879.6 KB)

Gone fishing
2624 posts
Hi john ,
Here's another file, I've taken your idea of the attribute to drive colour in a channel and created a vopsop to read in the attribute. I posed the same question here to Rob Kelly. Kudos goes to his vop pop and his cool technique of turning binary values into 10 base. My starting vop sop was somewhat wrong sort of .

Maybe I should turn this into a vops and flocking thread

Rob

Attachments:
voppop_groupmembership_problem_01.hipnc (98.8 KB)

Gone fishing
45 posts
Very interesting !

Thanks for sharing
  • Quick Links