importing objs question

5810   8   3
234 posts
Hello people

A question that bothers me is:
When I import obj model, I have all pieces of model grouped in one and don't know how to separate them.
I'd like to have trunks and tops separated so I can animate, texture, etc… In original maya file they are separate pieces of geometry.

Thanks in advance.

dj.

Attachments:
obj_question.JPG (37.3 KB)

617 posts
1 you can ungroup before doing the OBJ, and import several files.
2 ungroup and export import as FBX or collada.

3 you can group according to “connectivity” and then delete the rest of the objects and repeat this steps for each object you want apart.
321 posts
djorzgul
When I import obj model, I have all pieces of model grouped in one and don't know how to separate them.
If using a file SOP, all your geometry by definition is inside a single OBJect. You can, however, create multiple objects and put the same file SOP into each one, and a delete SOP after each to delete everything but the particular portions you consider to be part of that object.

You could probably make a decent case to SESI that their ‘file->import:geometry’ entry should pop up some kind of menu to give you the choice for how finely you want to split up your .obj file into constituent objects based on groups.
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
You can group by connectivity, and do it that way.

You can also select a face and grow your selection by pressing Shift+G. While you have that selected you can press tab over the 3d viewport and type in “material.” That will allow you to apply a material to that section.

Connectivity is probably easier, but other options are always nice.
www.earthfixed.com
234 posts
thanks, think I'll re-export separate pieces from maya and connect them in houdini.
Also I thought using fbx.. but then it's not easy to reload and replace geometry as with objs.

It would definitely be great to see Houdini more friendly when importing objs.

thanks one more time.

Dj.
575 posts
when I load objs from xsi I get a file with groups . each group contains the object. from that point it was quite easy to get my meshes seperated
234 posts
hmh, no… maya doesn't export that information… at least not that I can see it…
321 posts
djorzgul
thanks, think I'll re-export separate pieces from maya and connect them in houdini.
Also I thought using fbx.. but then it's not easy to reload and replace geometry as with objs.

It would definitely be great to see Houdini more friendly when importing objs.
Out of curiosity, what does Maya do if you export an .obj in the same manner and then reimport it?
Antoine Durr
Floq FX
antoine@floqfx.com
djorzgul
hmh, no… maya doesn't export that information… at least not that I can see it…
Rather sure I´ve worked with “pregrouped” .obj´s i Houdini.
I have not used maya in a long time, but if i recall correct there is a checkbox for that.
  • Quick Links