About Cloud Rendering

7372   5   1
12 posts
Hi~All~

I'm sad. Yes , very sad.
They are all cloud , but which I want to kick to the Pluto awary from the earth is my “cloud”….

I use the mountain node , copy node , isooffset node , volume ramp node, and the billowy_smoke node (I want to use the billowy_smoke to simulate the cloud's animation) ….My God…Can you image a picture of cotton? Yes, it's my cloud…….

The right picture is Phunt's cloud.You can see here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18325&highlight= [sidefx.com]

I want to make my cloud beautiful . The right picture's cloud is what I want.Can someone give me some suggestion about the shader and the light?Thank you!

Attachments:
cloud_help.jpg (42.9 KB)
my_moden_2_t.hip (527.3 KB)

8535 posts
i am not an artist, but here is a simple modification of your file

few notes:
you do not need to use isooffset if you are working with metaballs to get volume, just check Metaballs As Volumes on Geometry Object
if you need to use IsoOffset (e.g. for further modification) then is better to use Metaballs mode instead of Ray Intersect for metaballs

so in this file i'm using Metaballs As Volumes, little more randomness to point distribution, slightly different lighting, i've increased Volume Step Size to 0.5 (decrease it for higher quality(slower rendering time) ) and i've also increased volume density to get better shadow contrast

Attachments:
cloud.jpg (13.0 KB)
my_moden_2_t_modified.hip (469.1 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
2540 posts
I took the copied metaballs and fed them through another iso offset (res at 200) and rendered as a volume. This allows you to use the Bake Volume SOP.

I set the Bake Volume SOP to the key shadowing light as the position of the light to bake in to the volume but it could be placed anywhere above the cloud. First single scattering and then multi-scattering. Takes some time but baking lights in volumes for clouds is pretty darn cool. Mantra tosses most of the micro-voxels and no worries as the light scattering is already pre-computed.

As for finessing some of the noise, you could create yet another volume field and use that to modulate the noise in the VOP shader or even add a Displacement shader to the volume to move the micro-voxels around.

About the deep shadow maps, you can lower the resolution (quite a lot actually) and increase the shadow quality to get better shadows. 2x2, 3x3… It looks like at the original settings, there is some aliasing in the image along the top cloud boundary (telling sign is the alpha channel is pretty smooth). Makes for smaller dmaps too.

View renders with gamma 2.2.

Attachments:
cloud_s200_bake_single_scatter_dshad_q2x2.jpg (13.5 KB)
cloud_s200_bake_single_scatter.jpg (13.0 KB)
baked_iso_offset_moden_cloud.hip (575.9 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
2624 posts
Great file jeff , I have been trying to get instanced lights baked into volumes with some limited success until now. This file really helps clear a few things up !

Thanks

Rob
Gone fishing
12 posts
Yeah , I'm lucky ! When I come back from other work , well , so many usefull helps !

Tomas , thank you for your help from Saturday ! Your file helps me to make the cloud model better ~ Thank you very much ^^

Jeff , thank you ! Your file helps me to use the bake volume node. Ya , I saw this node from the other cloud help , but I didn't notice it…-.- I'll try more with your suggestion ~

circusmonkey , thank you for your attention ! You walks farther than me in Houdini.

Ya, I'll try, thank you all~
12 posts
Thank you all~

Here is my test image,it's better now.

Ha,I'm lucky with your help

Attachments:
new_cloud.jpg (82.9 KB)

• Quick Links