Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ?

4592   6   1
7 posts
Hi all!

I already switched my desktop pc to 10.04 but my workstation is still 9.04.
I remember having huge problems trying to run houdini on 9.10, so I don't think it will work on 10.04 anyway.

Will there be new version of Houdini for 10.04 LTS soon?
Staff
1256 posts
You can actually use the Ubuntu 7.04 version of Houdini. The label on the download page is outdated, but that version of Houdini should work for 10.04 as well.

The problems with 9.10 were fixed a while back. My laptop at home is Ubuntu 9.10 and Houdini used to crash on me at startup when trying to generate icons. But the latest Houdini has been pretty good to me.

So give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Rob
7 posts
wohooo I`ll give it a try

and there's no conflict with the gcc version or any speed issues? I think 10.04 is gcc4.4

and thx for the fast reply
Staff
1256 posts
I believe gcc4.4 and gcc4.1 are ABI-compatible so you should be fine.

Ubuntu 9.10 is also gcc4.4 and that's what I've been using.

No probs!

–Rob
7 posts
Just tested it and its working like a charm!!
It even seems to startup faster.

By the way, I had a strange missing-icon-bug too. My problem was, that I installed everything as root, so I had no write permissions for the config files in my home directory. *facepalm* oh well..

Maybe someone should mention the compatibility to 10.04LTS somewhere on the download page?

Nevertheless I think I'll stay with 9.04 until all the major bugs are ironed out.

Anyway thx a lot for the help Rob!
40 posts
Running H10 b595 Apprecntice 64b on Ubuntu 10.4 too and I've got absolutly no complaints. Installation was as easy as if it had been from the repos and it's running stable and smoothly with the latest NVidia drivers. Thanks SideFx, it's rare to get thus good, up-to-date and professional support for Linux!
7 posts
Damn….

I get strange system freezes in 10.04 from time to time.
Totally unpredictable and quite annoying.
It's not houdini related though.

seems to be official…
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478787 [ubuntuforums.org]

Going back to 9.04
  • Quick Links