Particles flowing around an object

6823   4   0
5 posts
I have a cloud of particles moving through a scene. I want these particles to encounter a static object and flow around it, but then reform in to their original shape on the other side of the static object and continue on their way. Similar to the way water would flow around a rock in a river.

I have had some success with geometry points and a metaball with radial force, but I would really like to do it inside a popnetwork.

I toyed with an attractor pop but with limited reults, it may be my best bet but I'm hoping someone out here as some ingenius suggestions!

Anyone got any thoughts on how this might be achieved?

Cheers guys,

Joe
257 posts
Have a look at the follow pop. that is what you use for target particles.

You'll need two groups of particles, the followers and the leaders. The followers will try to get to the leaders. This is easiest when working with a fixed number of particles. You'll need to define the “follow” number in a property pop on the followers.

You can then still apply all kinds of forces to the followers and they will move about, but trying to get to the leaders. Or you can make a vop pop that does something similar and points the velocity (or acceleration) into the direction of a group of points from sops.
Cg Supervisor | Effects Supervisor | Expert Technical Artist at Infinity Ward
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-claes-10a4854/ [www.linkedin.com]
47 posts
i allready replied to you on odforce but ill post this here aswell:

i gave it a go with sdfs and voppops.
first im checking the TX TY TZ from source points and using those as goal values on voppop.
in the same voppop i push the particles away from the blocking geo(sdf).
the sdf force could be improved a lot but maybe it gives u a starting point.

Kustaa

Attachments:
goalparts.hipnc (163.4 KB)

5 posts
Hi Kustaa,

Do you know how this might be adapted to work with deforming geometry? If the particles were generated from a walking character, so that the character would appear to flow through and around the static object?
47 posts
again i posted on odforum

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/11329-parting-particles-around-an-object/page__pid__73763__st__0&#entry73763 [forums.odforce.net]

Kustaa
  • Quick Links