Houdini crashes when minimized

4293   4   0
2 posts
:evil:
I just installed the Houdini Master Non Commercial version. It works great, until I minimize it or switch to another application. Then it crashes and gives me a C++ Runtime error that says abnormal program termination. I also get further error messages about bad memory writes.
I am running Windows XP SP1 with a P4 2.6GHZ, 768Mb RAM and a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks….
1390 posts
this sometimes happens to me also, but i suppose it because of my ATI, which as we know does not like Houdini. (i had to turn off acceleration… ).

The answer is…. don't switch to other app. or minimize it.

or

look in to enviroment variables like HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX (there are few others!) which fix some particular problems with display hardware. In case of houdini (all interface is drew by OGL) these issues are extremly important.

best,
symek.
2 posts
I should be getting an Nvidia Quadro FX 500 in tomorrow. I'll see how it performs with Houdini, or if the crash is related to something else. Your suggestions are good though and I'll try them out.

Cheers,

binarydisaster
113 posts
got a Quadro FX 1000 on Win 2000 . Keeps crashing when minimizing too ..
1631 posts
There's a similar thread over at the mailing list & Mike Cronin made a recommendation to use the 43.xx drivers. I agree with him because I'm using 43.45 drivers softquadro'd with win2k without problems. I believe Stremik is also using 43.xx softquadro'd.

The mailing list archive in Community should have the thread.

Cheers!
steven
  • Quick Links