Question About Procedural Workflow

4135   6   2
4 posts
Hi,
Before I try this program I have a question to ask.

Does this work at the modeling level with how meshes are constructed, or is it just for how you move objects and shape them?

Also is Procedural Workflow in editions?
Staff
2540 posts
Yes modeling in Houdini requires the wiring of nodes to proceduraly construct data.

You use network panes to wire nodes together for pretty much everything.
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
1182 posts
Houdini also has modeling tools on the shelf which you can use to create models without wiring nodes yourself.

Once you get better with Houdini, you will go back and forth between shelf tools and network nodes as needed for your particular task. Usually working with nodes directly lets you work smarter and provides ways of exploring different creative options.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
4 posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm learning it now and it looks very interesting!
130 posts
Hi Davaris,

Great, there is so much power hidden under the hood, once you start playing with Houdini… just don't give up!

However, if you are mainly interested in organic & sub-d modeling, and not in animation at all, in my opinion Houdini might be… not a first tool of choice.

Just go to the website gallery, and to the “Finished Projects” forum, and see for yourself, comparing the types of works presented, with other softwares' “Finished Projects” forums.

You might also review the mailing list archive - some recent posts (last week, I think) covered an interesting discussion about using Houdini as a modelling tool. One statement somebody made sounded really reasonably to me - it was something like: “If we need to model EXACTLY THIS, we use Modo, if we need to model SOMETHING LIKE THIS, we use Houdini”.

Cheers,
Greg
4 posts
“Finished Projects” forums.

I couldn't find that forum you mentioned:

This is where I went:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=22&Itemid=304 [sidefx.com]

As for my goal, I'm looking to generate lots of things using the same construction method, but each object will look different to its siblings.

I was looking at videos for CityGenerator a while back and while it suits its particular purpose, I want to use similar methods, but not be restricted to cities. A friend of mine told me Houdini was well suited for what I have in mind, so here I am.
130 posts
Hi Davaris,
I couldn't find that forum you mentioned:
Oops, you are absolutely right - sorry for being imprecise ;-)
Good luck with your project!
  • Quick Links