H11 fails to install on Mac Mini

3201   5   0
4 posts
I just purchased a license of Houdini apprentice HD only to realize that Houdini fails to install on my brand new Mac mini.
I have see many threads about fellow mac users having different issues with Houdini (missing icons, random crashes…) but, I can't even get the app installed on my machine. :cry:

Some of the things I've already tried:

1. Installing it as root
2. Trying all the different daily/production builds for version 11

thanks,

PS: My mac mini is a mid 2010 model (64bit) with 2GB of ram and all the latest updates. I carefully read the system requirements and although my setup is not “ideal” it should still be able to run it.

Attachments:
FAIL.png (228.7 KB)

4 posts
My Mac mini should definitely be able to handle H11 as I was just able to install 11.0.504 and run it under Windows 7 (which I'm running under bootcamp) :?
That's great and all, but I'd really like to be able to run this in OS X since that's my primary system.

thanks in advance
Staff
1449 posts
NSTask: Task create for path ‘/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.a4dcqY/Scripts/com.sidefx.foldericon-11.0.469.pkg.jW7bc3/postinstall’ failed: 22, “Invalid argument”

A similar problem is described here: http://lists.apple.com/archives/Installer-dev/2009/Oct/msg00014.html [lists.apple.com]

However, in general we have not encountered installation problems on OSX machines, so it may be some configuration on your mac. In the link above, the solution was to add the interpreter to the post-install script, but we already do that in our script, namely, #!/usr/bin/python
4 posts
rafal
…..but we already do that in our script, namely, #!/usr/bin/python

As soon as I read /usr/bin/python I knew exactly what the problem was. About a week ago I tried upgrading to Python 2.7 by following these instructions:

“Step1. Install the version of python that you are going to use for example im going to be using python 2.7 so i did the following:

sudo port install python27

Step2. Once your version of python is installed its not to point to that version by doing the following steps:

1. cd /usr/bin
2. sudo rm python
3. sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/python2.7 python
4. python -V (Tells you the version of python you are using which in this case im using python 2.7 )

Step3. Enjoy your new version of python happy hacking”

After realizing that IDLE was no longer operational I decided to rollback to 2.6 and everything seemed to be going fine up until Houdini came along.
I'm probably going to have to reimage my mini to fix this mess which my “happy hacking” caused. ops:

Thanks rafal for shedding some light!
Staff
1449 posts
I'm glad to hear you found the source of the problem. Also, it could be just the file permissions on /usr/bin/python that need to be adjusted.
4 posts
rafal
I'm glad to hear you found the source of the problem. Also, it could be just the file permissions on /usr/bin/python that need to be adjusted.

I tried to fix my .profile path as well as the symbolic link in my usr/bin/python without much luck. Houdini would install without giving me an error message, but then it would fail to launch.
So in the end I did a system restore to have a fresh new start and I'm happy to report that 11.0.504 is now up and running and fully licensed. 8)

I hope this thread serves as a lesson to all about what NOT to do to your system if you don't really know what you are doing. ops:

Thanks rafal once again!
  • Quick Links