Arnold Renderer Info

25048   9   4
8569 posts
Hi

I just found this presentation about Arnold Renderer

http://www.vimeo.com/15878348 [vimeo.com]

not much related to Houdini, but it can be very interesting to see some info about it, since this renderer is used in Sony Imageworks as a main renderer and since Sony uses Houdini among other software I think it's somehow related

also here is some info
http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~jaroslav/gicourse2010/giai2010-02-marcos_fajardo-slides.pdf [graphics.cornell.edu]
http://renderwonk.com/publications/s2010-shading-course/martinez/s2010_course_notes.pdf [renderwonk.com]

It kind of resembles mantra PBR to me and i really like the fact that no fakes/optimizations like pointclouds, photonmaps, shadowmaps, … are needed to get fast render, everything is pure raytracing beautifully optimized for dense geometry, instances, hair, motionblur, DOF, displacements
I can't compare the speed but it seems really fast
Does anyone have experience with this render and can tell me more about it mainly compared to Mantra PBR?
Or someone who really understands mantra can tell more info
Is Mantra PBR something like it?
thanks
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
18 posts
Last I heard about Arnold was in the softimage mailing list. The developers were looking to hire Maya and Softimage plugin writers. Haven't heard anything about a Houdini plug. But it's a standalone so it's definitely possible.

I hear nothing but praise from it's beta testers. Rumor has it they “want” to release before the year is over. whether it happens remains to be seen.

It does sound allot like PBR btw.
8569 posts
i know that only public plugin is for softimage and i am not expecting Houdini one
i posted this just because Arnold looks like solid production renderer and there is very little info about it so everybody who want to know more can look at that presentation, it's really interesting

i am just asking for a slight comparison of rendering approaches from technological point of view
because mantra PBR is using raytracing, it's fast with MB, DOF, displacements hair even though it's not REYES is based on BRDF sampling. Just like Arnold
I don't see much under the hood so i can't tell if there is anything similar between them, but i am curious
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
18 posts
They are VERY similar. Only difference I know of based off limited info is that in PBR one ray will take into account one light source. Arnold takes into account more than one. Not sure if PBR is SIMD accelerated or not but Arnold is.
4262 posts
rtalz
They are VERY similar. Only difference I know of based off limited info is that in PBR one ray will take into account one light source. Arnold takes into account more than one. Not sure if PBR is SIMD accelerated or not but Arnold is.

The default setting for Mantra's PBR rendering is to sample each light. You can switch it to sample just one light by turning off the Sample All Lights property. (This is new in Houdini 11.)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
18 posts
Wolfwood
rtalz

The default setting for Mantra's PBR rendering is to sample each light. You can switch it to sample just one light by turning off the Sample All Lights property. (This is new in Houdini 11.)

Thanks for the heads up. I was going off the notes I took from the mantra tutorial video. It's dated info I guess.
3 posts
rtalz
Wolfwood
rtalz

Thanks for the heads up. I was going off the notes I took from the mantra tutorial video. It's dated info I guess.

Hi there.
Can´t seen to find this option in the render panel.
¨sample just one light by turning off the ¨
can you give a hint of where it is, thanks mangi
4262 posts
Right Click on the mantra node and choose Edit Parameter Interface. Its a spare parameter that isn't exposed by default.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
3 posts
Wolfwood
Right Click on the mantra node and choose Edit Parameter Interface. Its a spare parameter that isn't exposed by default.

thanks a million Wolfwood

jumangic
543 posts
There is in fact a Houdini/Arnold plugin being planned (for the near future hopefully) but I can't say much more because of NDA restrictions. However, I can say the more people expressing interest for a Houdini plugin, the faster it will happen. I hope it comes along real soon.

If you're a studio and would like to see a Houdini/Arnoldmplugin, I know they'd love to hear from you.

Email:
info@solidangle.com

Take care,
Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
  • Quick Links