Camera Asset Help!!

5346   9   1
Staff
18 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to build a camera asset and when I try and bind camera handles in the Handles tab of the asset they either don't show up or don't seem to affect anything properly. Is there something I am missing? Or can you not put a camera inside of an otl and have it behave the same way at the top level.

thanks!
rob stauffer
Staff
1072 posts
I'm not overly familiar with the process of binding handles to assets, but you'll probably want to make sure that you set the Representative Node of the asset to be the internal camera node. This will allow you to look through the camera in the viewport, though I don't expect it to have any effect on handle bindings.

I'm a little unclear about the problem you're describing. When you say that the handles either don't show or, or don't seem to affect anything properly, those sound like contradictory problems.
Staff
18 posts
The representative node of the asset is the camera node. I am able to look through the camera in the viewport. The issue is when I promote the handles to the asset (right clicking on the camera manipulator handles) the handles appear at the asset level. But they either do not affect the camera properly or sometimes they do not at all. I would expect that the camera would behave the same way once the handles were promoted to the asset level.
rob stauffer
Staff
1072 posts
The camera handle promoted to the asset seems to work fine for me. Perhaps you could post your .otl file.
Staff
18 posts
Myself and a couple of others tried this and we are all having problems…

1.. place a new camera node
2.. shift-c to create a subnet
3.. create digital asset
4.. go into asset… select camera and in the viewport… right click on camera mainpulator and export to asset.

5.. apply and save asset
6.. navigate up one level to the top of the asset… select asset and manipulator appears in viewport
7. drag manipulator controls…

8… nothing… I've had instances where the manipulators translate the camera but the cam rotates uncontrollably or the manipulators move and the camera does not…
rob stauffer
Staff
1072 posts
I can finally reproduce this, but oddly enough, only in 9.0, not 9.1. Previously I think I was only trying 9.1, which is why I couldn't reproduce it. There definitely appears to be a problem somewhere in 9.0.
Staff
1072 posts
I found the relevant fix and ported it back to 9.0.
Staff
18 posts
so I wasn't crazy!!

so is the porting something I can do? Or do I have to wait until 9.1?
rob stauffer
Staff
18 posts
I actually just tried it in 8 and it works fine
rob stauffer
Staff
1072 posts
stovetop
I actually just tried it in 8 and it works fine

The bug was introduced by the missing scales on cameras, something that was new for 9. You don't have to wait for 9.1 though, as the fix has been ported back to 9.0.803.
  • Quick Links