simple question about "copy" from maya user

3137   2   2
3 posts
Hi, I just started to learn Houdini9 after using Maya and I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong….

-create box
-create grid
-using the “copy” command icon from the modify tab I can then have a box on every point of the grid.

All fine and dandy.

Now. If I create a box and grid as before and try not to use the new Houdini9 icon and instead use the network editor to create a copy node I cannot then connect the grid as I am in object mode not scene node. If I go into scene mode I lose the copy node.

I assume this is something simple I am doing wrong but not sure what…

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Mark
47 posts
Not sure exactly of your workflow but…
If you do this from the “viewer” ie hover over the viewer pane and do these operations it should work.
It will put things where they go as it were.

If you use the icons on the shelf Houdini will build the networks you need for you.

I don't even have a copy icon on my shelves…

If you want to work in the network , you would first create a Geometery node then jump inside of that create your box and grid
and then copy one to the other.

HTH

-Lyn-
258 posts
Sound to me like you are not creating your object in context when you are not using the shelf icons. So when you try to do it w/o the shelf and hook it up your self you create a box and a grid but without create in context the box and the grid are in separate networks. If you look just under the shading menu in the scene view you will see a button that creates a menu that allows you to create in context or not. What this basically means is…in context all stuff exist under one network. not in context means that for every object you create you create separate networks.

could be wrong here but hope it helps…

Jordan
  • Quick Links