Which Windows Vista?

9214   5   2
38 posts
I'm thinking about buying a new laptop to run Houdini Apprentice HD. According to the systems requirements, Houdini can run on Windows XP and Vista. Since I always upgrade my OS when I get a new computer, I'm planning on getting Vista. Which Vista is the best for Houdini?
4140 posts
I strongly recommend you use XP64, if you're going to run windows. Vista would not be my first choice for production, and I would never use the excuse of getting a new computer as a reason to upgrade. For the most part, Vista is an upgrade in Microsoft's eyes only. Vista is a step back.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1529 posts
Which Vista is the best for Houdini?

I have been running Vista Business 64-bit for over a year now. the 64bit version is definitely the way to go IMO.

I DO agree with JC though, if you have the option I'd go with XP64.

Gene
38 posts
Okay…why would you recommend xp64 over vista?
1529 posts
Vista is known to be problematic ‘sometimes’.

Depending on your hardware particulars, and what software you choose to run you MAY run into more issues with Vista then with XP64. At least based on what i've been hearing over the past few months.

The real issue here, I think is that it's a lottery for the most part.

In my setup (vista64), with my hardware, and with my workflow i've run into NO ISSUES (except for quicktime to be fair - which I try to avoid like the plague). I'm quite happy with Vista.

Other users have had significant and frequent issues (not necessarily houdini related per-se).

You may get lucky. you may not.

Gene
4140 posts
Plus it's significantly slower. And don't anyone say the upcoming SP1 ‘fixes’ it.

Cheers,

J.C.

P.S. Oh, yeah, forgot - it doesn't bring a single bloody positive feature over XP. In fact, design-wise, it's pretty well mangled many of the things that were good about XP. So you have to ask yourself - do I want the newer product, which is slower, has reports of more driver issues, and has a design philosophy that's bonkers, or stick with something that works?
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links