Posing the Toon Character

4455   2   1
13 posts
I'm posing the Toon character's arms using FK, but when the characters hands are on a table I'd like to switch to IK so when he pushes himself up, the hands stay put.

In the switchers tab I tried selecting ‘Match IK to FK’ then moving the blend slider all the way to IK, and I also tried these two steps in the opposite order but got the same result, the arm moved.

What is the proper way to switch from FK arms to IK arms without the arms moving?
7773 posts
Hmm … I tried some simple examples and this seemed to work. However, looking at the animation controls, it looks like the arm is entirely controlled by FK upperarm rotates and a single FK lowerarm RX parameter. I don't know if those FK controls are able to do all the same poses that are achieved by IK. Off hand, are you able to manually change the FK parameters to match the IK position?

When switching back/forth, also make sure that you're keying the blend parameter along with the fk/ik parameters. Note that IK is a blend value of 1, while FK is a blend value of 0.
13 posts
I posted the file I'm playing with on the odforce thread -

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=6690&st=0&gopid=44780&#entry44780 [forums.odforce.net]

The IKtwist translate manipulator helped me to get the position close to the original FK position, but without understanding why it's not working I'd just be guessing how to adjust that manipulator.

I am setting the FK/IK blend slider to 0 for FK and 1 for IK.
  • Quick Links