remote rendering troubles

2941   1   0
575 posts
Hi,

i have various problems with remote rendering.

Ugliest first, i constantly get this error message :
UT_NetPacket::read: No error
mantra: Network Error Missing data in read – possible remote crash

the farmer-18 is used with the mantra -H farmer-18 option, most of the time this happens at the very end of the image. after this the render breaks.
it is not only one remote machine. it happens on various machines from time to time, quite frequently, but it does work correct sometimes

where can i start to look for the error?

next, not less ugly problem. during the night, most of the time 10 secs after going home the machine looses the connection to the license server. outch, render stops. the license server is on a linux machine, i use a windows machine to work,render and connect to remote hosts(windows). the license serving machine is running and is idle.

any hints?

next problem. pathes.

i have a lot of instances read from bgeo files from disk. instanced to points read from disk. mantra finds the geometry, but the textures are not found.

they are all referenced by $HIP/Geo/file or $HIP/Img/file

how can mantra resolve the geometry but not the textures? I'm confused
:?

<<EDIT: My geometry is saved inside the ifd during generation, so no wonder it was there>>>>

thanks in advance

martin
Edited by - April 12, 2008 07:22:13
575 posts
ok, i got closer to my problem with the pathes. maybe someone can help me now.

I had a look into the ifd file, and it seems that there is a way to prevent the hip variable to be evaluated at generation time. so it keeps to be $HIP inside the ifd. i read this on the mailing list. \$HIP prevents the evaluation, but unforutnately it prevents houdini finding the texture in the gui too. on the other side it is very cool, because you can set the variable before You start the mantra process to be sure to have the right pass. so is the a way to generate ifd wiht $HIP keeping intact, but still have the pathes correct in houdini. a checkbox in the render node would be soo cool.

martin
  • Quick Links