Growing decay/rust on a texture

11952   5   1
9 posts
For a course project, I need to have this effect where there is a growing decay or rust that is forming over a texture. In my case the texture is a tile and the geometry are individual grids that form a tiled wall/ the texture has been applied to each tile individually. However i need the rust to affect all the tiles, that is growing all over them globally and not on each tile.

I ve attached an image to give an overview of the effect and Currently the decay is static and not growing.

Any suggestion or solutions are more than welcome

Attachments:
file2.jpeg (60.8 KB)

2624 posts
You need to create an animated mask using noise to drive the bias between the two states

A) I would use a grid to create all my tiles

B) Using the mix vop I would have 1 rusty texture and for input 1 Then a clean tile texture for input 2 . Using an animated noise map to blend between the two

R
Gone fishing
9 posts
hey,

thanks a million for that. the thing is i right now have a copy sop that copies the tiled pieces over a grid. The tiles have been simulated and brought in with a file sop. however if i apply the shader, its shading all the tiles individually and thus the decay is growing on each tile as well. I want the rust to grow globally over all the geometry/wall…. any suggestions…

120 posts
you can create an attribute over the whole piece of geometry and use that to drive the mix of the shader.
9 posts
but that is just blending the textures together. Which is ok… but i need the decay to grow organically over the tiles… for example like in the film Day after tomorrow… when the frost kinda grows over the buildings…

:?:
56 posts
How about applying a secondary set of UVs to your entire wall.

Next, imaging a simple 2D wipe over this uv co-ord system.

Now use this 2d wipe as the blend between clean/rust.

GW
  • Quick Links