Icon format change for custom DSO?

7391   6   1
543 posts
Hi,

Has the file format for the icons used for OP's changed? BMP's used to work but now I get a stream of errors complaining about the format.

I noticed that the icons in
/media/hfs6/houdini/config/Icons/

are all *.pic, but when I run “file” on them, they don't report that they are Houdini pic files, but “mplay” will display them just fine.

I converted my icons to Houdini .pic's with iconvert, but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

What's the preferred format for those icons?

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
4140 posts
Platform? I assume windows with the bmp format…

Weird. I know we use .pic, jpg, bmp - whatever. Works fine. It's odd about the “info” output - what is that? Do you mean Linux “info”? Try running iinfo on the file - that's more relavent to Houdini. If *that's* what you meant by info, then somethings really wrong with your files.

Perhaps a bad magic header in your original?

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4256 posts
I tried embedding some icons into an OTL the other day and I was able to import .jpgs and .bmps that had been saved from Photoshop, mplay, and MSPaint. I have on two occasions tried to load a .bmp and gotten a huge stream of errors but I just re-saved the file again and all was well. If it happens again I'll try to figure out what caused the bad .bmp.

jim.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
543 posts
Wolfwood
I tried embedding some icons into an OTL the other day and I was able to import .jpgs and .bmps that had been saved from Photoshop, mplay, and MSPaint. ) I have on two occasions tried to load a .bmp and gotten a huge stream of errors but I just re-saved the file again and all was well. If it happens again I'll try to figure out what caused the bad .bmp.

jim.

Yes, I think I must have mashed them somehow, the .bmp's that is. I've had the same stream of errors come from .bmp's.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
4140 posts
If I ever have any grief with all the endless variants on formats out there, I just pump it through “ic foo.xxx = bar.yyy” to get rid of crappy warnings everytime it loads.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
2540 posts
An excellent use of the old school command line compositor “ic”.

Glad to see that they are still extremely useful and completely slip under the radar of all newerish users. They don't even grab a license any more.

For those that want to know, go to $HFS/bin and poke around there for a few minutes. All the “i” commands are for images and yes you can link them together to do basic compositing.

-jeff
There's at least one school like the old school!
4140 posts
Hey - the first time I met Greg Hermanovic he was selling these things called “f-tools”(precursor to i-tools for the uninitiated) from shop to shop - that was all we could composite with in those days! You can do an awful lot with those tools!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links