network rendering problem

3727   3   2
234 posts
When I render a test image on local machine I get “good” picture.
When I try to render it with mantra -H render1, render2 (network computer names) command i get “bad” picture.
It looks like it is some problem with paths, but I cannot find a solution.

Thanks in advance,

djordje

Attachments:
bad.jpg (12.0 KB)
good.jpg (16.7 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
The salmon pink color is the color substituted in when you have a missing texture map.

Your remote machines need to see the texture map with the identical path as your local machine. There are a few posts on the Side Effects and OdForce forums on how to set up a render farm where all machines reference texture maps with the same paths from a central location on the network.

A simple solution is to use $HIP and place the texture maps inside the $HIP directory.
e.g.: $HIP/map/mymap.exr

$HIP
my_scene_file.hip
/map
mymap.exr

$HIP returns the directory path where the current file was opened from and where it was last saved when working on the file.
There's at least one school like the old school!
234 posts
yup, that's the solution, thanks a lot.
Staff
2540 posts
no problem.

Tip: If you are Environment Variable savvy you can set the following to control this more discretely:

HOUDINI_TEXTURE_PATH
set to a list of directories that Houdini will search for texture maps. This is handy if you have a lot of commonly used texture maps. You only have to reference them by name and no path is required. Set this up on all your render farm machines.
This is why you can type any of the default images in $HFS/houdini/pic/ by name only and it works. e.g.: Just type in Mandril.pic and you get the Mandril through this mechanism.

For more help on this, see the Houdini Help “Configure Houdini” and scroll down to the section on “Paths and locations”.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links