So many problems after installation on XP. Pls help.

7853   8   2
3 posts
Hi,

I'm new to 3D software and after giving 4D Cinema a go (which works great but is too expensive for a hobbyist), I found Houdini.

After a fresh install and a reinstall and a reinstall, I keep running into problems. Some I've tried to fix using help on this forum and Google.

Unfortunately some are persistent and I can really use your help.

Here's some system info:

And some details on my graphic card / driver:

1) OpenGL shading: I added the system variables, however on the Intel website it says that OpenGL can be enabled. Is there a huge difference?

2) “NT_Generator…” console message. I tried to solve it using a system variable as suggested in the forum. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

3) I get error messages when I try to do “File > Import > …” and “Render > Create Render Node > …” (perhaps it occurs when I select other menu items too):

Thank you in advance for your help and… I can't wait to get creative :-).

Best regards,
Dennis
47 posts
enable open GL makes a hugh difference as a ton of draw and display
functions use it.

The other thing (at least to me ) is the graphics card itself. If you not on a “nvidia” or “ATI” it might be suspect. Technically any card capable of
running OpenGL should work but…..

As for the Python error which version of Python do you have installed?
You should probably have 2.3 or 2.4 installed.

Hope this was of some help.
52 posts
dennisvr
3) I get error messages when I try to do “File > Import > …” and “Render > Create Render Node > …” (perhaps it occurs when I select other menu items too):

See if installing to a path without any spaces in helps - http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=12247 [sidefx.com]
3 posts
Thank you for your very quick replies!

I reinstalled Houdini (again) as suggested in c:\houdini, the menu error is gone.

Unfortunately the OpenGL message still exists, I think I will, for now, turn it off as I did previously.

The NT_Generator… dialog still messes up working with Houdini, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix that? (I must admit that I have no idea what the message means).

Again thanks for the prompt replies.

Kind regards,
Dennis
1145 posts
Check this Odforce thread,
http://forums.odforce.net/lofiversion/index.php/t4968.html [forums.odforce.net]

Your graphics are run from an embedded chip on the motherboard that won't do very well with Opengl. You'll be using a software version of ogl and thus it will be slow.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
7714 posts
I think that the only real environment variable you need to set is HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE to 1.
2624 posts
I gave up with onboard graphics . Solved the problem by buying a new laptop
Gone fishing
3 posts
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm also giving up on running Houdini on my laptop and think I will prep an old desktop.

All the best!

Dennis
1145 posts
I recently bought an HP Pavilion laptop, new for under $1000. It's amd 64bit, and with nvidia graphics card. I needed a small laptop for travel. It runs Houdini nicely. I use Ubuntu linux exclusively on it.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
  • Quick Links