mental ray light shaders

2994   2   0
41 posts
We're just going through some setup with mental ray and Houdini, and there doesn't seem to be a rendering parameter for Light Shaders. Given, I'm not that familiar with mental ray and Houdini integration (we've been on PRMan for a long while), but I'm used to just to adding a Light SHOP and being done with it.
Chris
Staff
2593 posts
drexel
We're just going through some setup with mental ray and Houdini, and there doesn't seem to be a rendering parameter for Light Shaders. Given, I'm not that familiar with mental ray and Houdini integration (we've been on PRMan for a long while), but I'm used to just to adding a Light SHOP and being done with it.
Chris

In H9.0, lights are “wrangled” by SOHO. If you look at $HH/soho/wranglers/HoudiniLightMI.py, this is the code which wraps the Houdini light parameters into MI light shaders.

If you want though, you can just add the shop_lightpath parameter and override all the wrangling stuff.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.
41 posts
Sure thanks, that's how we've always handled PRMan lights…I was simply thrown by the lack of Light Shader (shop_lightpath) in the mental ray Rendering Parameters. (But, of course, it's all the same parameter).
  • Quick Links