cmiVFX | Video Player Ubuntu issue with Fluid FX video

6730   8   0
4 posts
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you purchased the Houdini Fluid FX For TD's video and are having the same issue as me.

I have Houdini installed on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04). When I try to watch the video using Firefox it just hangs. I downloaded all the codecs I know about including Flash Player. I see the “cmiVFX | Video Player” loading bar working when I first launch the player (so Flash seems to be working), but, can't watch the video.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Even better - Does anyone have a solution? Or are the videos just meant to be played on Windows and Mac OSX?

Thanks
44 posts
I was having the same issue but I was running Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit. This link should help:

http://www.linux.com/feature/142075 [linux.com]

If you are running firefox3.0.1 remember to change it to:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1/plugins/
(instead of : sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/plugins/)

Hope this helps
4 posts
I am using Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit too, actually. I followed the instructions on the link you provided. It worked! Yes, I am using Firefox-3.0.1 so the heads up on the path change from */firefox-3.0/plugins/ to *firefox-3.01/plugins/ was handy during the linking of the *.so file. I am able to watch the cmiVFX houdini video in Unbutu now, so, thanks so much!
4 posts
Just when I thought everything was working…

As I mentioned I am now able to watch the cmiVFX video just fine using Firefox 3.0.1.

But, when I launch Houdini the video player crashes.

The following error messages are echoed to the shell:

GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetMIMEDescription
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x621d10: NP_GetValue return

(npviewer.bin:6104): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_detach: assertion `style->attach_count > 0' failed

(npviewer.bin:6104): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(npviewer.bin:6104): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(npviewer.bin:6104): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(npviewer.bin:6104): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() wait for reply: Connection closed
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Shutdown() invoke: Connection closed
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() wait for reply: Connection closed
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NP_Shutdown() invoke: Connection closed
4 posts
Actually, I get the errors in the above post without launching Houdini at all. After playing for a while, the video player just crashes and I get that error.
1192 posts
Yes, I found out that I can't play back the vid on Ubuntu. And also that the only way to see the vids is to use their custom player and to have an internet connection (no video downloads).
I won't buy from CMI until they start offering downloads. The tutorials are good but the delivery is a shame.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
44 posts
Not sure what that error message means. I have no problems playing the video while I have Houdini running. Maybe it's an issue with the graphics card. I use ENVY to automatically set my driver. Maybe this can solve your current problem.

Though I agree that it sucks to be online to view the video, CMI is doing the best it can to offer the best video training while protecting it's investment from pirating. You should e-mail them about download them. I heard it's a little bit extra. From my experience they are quick to respond.

Good luck to both of you
460 posts
hi

Flash and 64 bit linux still has some issues, what I did is install a 32 bit browser, you have a lot of option in linux, firefox 32, flock, or Swiftweasel a very nice alternative.

and you can use flash like crazy,

about CMIVFX, if you need downloads you can buy them, write them a mail and they'll tell you how much for a download of your videos, is little quota.

ANd guys who NEEDS a 64 bit browser, i think is crazy.

good luck
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
2624 posts
about CMIVFX, if you need downloads you can buy them, write them a mail and they'll tell you how much for a download of your videos, is little quota.

Same problems here , interesting videos , poor format delivery
Edited by - Sept. 18, 2008 17:16:03
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links