More Step-by-Step user friendly Tutorials PLEASE :)

26572   25   5
537 posts
whoa .. just caught this thread. Yikes. I think one of the fundamental issues here is that Houdini is much more abstract and powerful than other programs. There IS no established workflow. A better question would be “what would you like to do with it;” and start from there.

If Houdini is like a programming language (which I really don't think it is but). than learn it like a programming language. There is no step by step guide for learning to program because scope and function of the program is very variable.

So, maybe approach it this way:

a. Maybe reference from the many good basics videos on the SESI tutorials section and work through them a few times.

b. From there make variations of those methods until you are certain you understand the workflow in those lessons.

c. Assign yourself a new project; very simple; and see if you can combine those workflows to give yourself what you need.

After a while of using Houdini you'll never want to use any other application for the “core” workflow of an effect's shot. The reason for this is that with Houdini you don't have to get in and wonder if the feature set can handle your task, don't have to learn any new features, and overall don't have to worry about “how” it will be done. You can set up the basic pieces of the effect/system any way you like and mix them together. Having worked like this for a while now I think it's almost a completely different mindset than other 3d programs; and this is the fundamental reason why you're seeing different types of learning materials, workflows and processes compaired to step-by-step approaches in other programs. 8)
519 posts
Amen.
34 posts
andrewlowell
A better question would be “what would you like to do with it;” and start from there.

If Houdini is like a programming language (which I really don't think it is but). than learn it like a programming language.

I'm actually remixing the tutorials at the moment, trying different variations and looking at all available matterial on and offline. With time I'm sure that I'll start to get more comfortable with the software.

You mention learning Houdini like a programming language. I've tried learning languages before, and one good thing about this is the structured logical progression from one level of complexity to the next. Pick up a Python or C# and you basically know where you're coming from and where you are going.

With Houdini the relationship between nodes are mentioned in a brisk, compacted way which implies prior knowledge of programatical structures and information flows. It more closely resembles a techinical manual than a genuine guide to learning for those who are new to this process. Pith instuctions are great for a zen student but I lack the wisdom or the knowledge to make much sense of it.

Having said that, I will not give up and will understand the software because I totally resonate with its core methodology.

I'm going throught the Audio Synchronization downloads by the way. This is where most of my interest lies. Check out my Youtube page for music visualization, i'm ‘funkyjedi’ there.

I don't mind the challenge, I know a great thing when I see it, and I hope that Houdini learning experience can be resampled and smoothed out a likle bit.

519 posts
With Houdini the relationship between nodes are mentioned in a brisk, compacted way which implies prior knowledge of programatical structures and information flows. It more closely resembles a techinical manual than a genuine guide to learning for those who are new to this process. Pith instuctions are great for a zen student but I lack the wisdom or the knowledge to make much sense of it.

I think this is exactly what Andrew tries to explain an i tried in a metaphorical way with my reference to Houdini being a language. There isn't a single way to explain the usage of nodes in Houdini. It's perfectly sane to mix nodes and networks etc to get the job done, aka there are more paths that lead to a certain solution.

So you could make millions of different tutorials on how to use the attribute transfer sop but then another smart ass comes and uses it in a completely different way…

You mention learning Houdini like a programming language. I've tried learning languages before, and one good thing about this is the structured logical progression from one level of complexity to the next. Pick up a Python or C# and you basically know where you're coming from and where you are going.
If you do see Houdini as a programming language then you should know it takes years and years of practice (don't believe anything they say in learning C++ in 24H, it's a ****ing lie, better have a look at K&R and try their exercises, they are quite hard to complete).

Btw, if you want to have fun with audio, check out Andrew's ebook:
http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/resources.html [andrew-lowell-productions.com]

it's a great intro to using audio in houdini and using CHOPS
34 posts
Hi, thank you for the reply.

Up until one month ago I didn't have a computer that could handle Houdini. I bought Andrew's PDF early on and am waiting till 3dBuzz competition is over to dive into it properly.

I understand the idea that an application can be developed in many different ways. There is, after all ‘more than one way to skin a cat’ they say. And that's ok.

I have no problem with something being complex. The idea of ‘emergence’ says that a complex system comes about naturally out of a ‘soup’ of quite simple conditions.

When it comes to ‘Attribute Create’, and this is just a random example, I'm still looking to understand the absolute basic of this cat. My attitude towards ths attribute is that I need know what its basic purpose is. And I'm well aware of the relevant help pages on this. I'm really trying to ask someone to make some more cool videos about this and other nodes.

Once I know the principles of the matter I can then start doing little applications. But I'm still not 100% with what this thing does and how its connected, in principle, to other nodes.

I really am at the start of all this, as I'm sure, are quite a few others. Although, with the little understanding I do have, thanks to the video tutorial currently available, I've already succeeded in developing and emergent system.

I think there is a fear that if something is explained easily and simply then its power suddenly disappears and it becomes a kid's toy perhaps.

I do believe that each of the nodes can be explained simply in a good video tutorial which gives it that human touch. Such tutorials, which are usually more engaging than written text, can also provide enough of the background and possible usages to allow a student to start making their own experiments.

If you take a look at the principle behind ‘Piano Wizard’, a child is taken from playing a musical game to reading proper sheet music, seamlessly. That's what I'm talking about. Sure, get them to study theory and learning Rach.3 sitting at the piano, but get them started in a more interesting, sustainable and natural way. Its in the very beginning that our defining impressions are formed. Some are put off learning learning right at the start because its too difficult. Many students would benefit from a gentler learning curve.

This truly accommodating, procedural approach to learning would in no way compromise Houdini's status, any more more than Bach is compromised by someone learning to play chopsticks, so long as the student is infused by the potential.

I'm really here as a student, a relative beginner (I've gone from Bryce to Amorphium, Carrara, 3dMax , Maya, Scratch, Starlogo, Alice and tiny glimpses of Virtools and Max/Msp), and someone very curious about how this all works. I know for sure that Houdini will be my software of choice and I'm trying to build a very solid foundation. Ideas like procedural way of working, the use of various data types, graphical representation of channels are all very interesting indeed.

It would be nice, as I said before, to have something on the lines of Digital Tutors ICE audio-visual node reference for Houdini. I don't know if that is too much to wish for from a budding Houdini apprentice. I suppose I should be grateful for what I have, and I'll always have enough.

peace and blessings.
537 posts
great about the audio stuff! good luck

when I was picking up Houdini I think the best “hands on” stuff was certainly derived from the classes at the Side FX office (which is unfortunate if you aren't in distance of those classes). Other than that probably the best overall introduction to software usage came from Garman's Houdini 101 DVD

It's of course for Houdini 8 but I'm pretty sure all the techniques can still be done in 9 without any issues.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ghe01.html [thegnomonworkshop.com]
  • Quick Links