Vector Displacement??

57813   39   7
83 posts
Much appreciated :wink:
338 posts
hey Erik,

heres the updated shader, ive included an example vector displacement map also. Im not quite sure what the scale settings should be have a play around with your own displacement tests and see if you can match them 100%
Cheers
Nick

Attachments:
vectorDisplacement.rar (1.2 MB)

83 posts
Hi Nick

Thanks for that.
It is a bit tricky getting the scaling spot on with my own displacement maps. Will keep you updated

Erik
19 posts
Here is updated version about vector displacement vector. It's working with 3d-coat and it takes both positive and negative vectors account. If anyone wants to test this there is a file for you. niko3d if you have to check this that would be helpful too. I added Fit range just after the texture node. I don't know why I have to do that because I thought that exr files can be negative too.

Attachments:
testt.zip (81.9 KB)

678 posts
Hi, I am a newbie to Houdini. I tried this SHOP in H10 and all works great. When I try to run it in H11 every node in the SHOP get the hazard markings. Can anyone help getting this network to run in H11. I really want to get my modo models with vector displacement into Houdini.

Thank you
19 posts
Hi!
This Vector Displacement worked in houdini 10 but it dosen't work in 11. It seams that the problem is in inline code. I'm using text: vop_computeTangents($tanU, $tanV, normalize(N), $uv, 2);

Maybe someone knows how to fix this error. Thanks.

Attachments:
test.png (212.3 KB)

1904 posts
If you take a look in $HH/vex/include/voplib.h for the definition of vop_computeTangents() you'll see that the function signature has changed in Houdini 11.

Houdini 10: vop_computeTangents(vector tanU, tanV; vector nn, uv; int tstyle)

Houdini 11: vop_computeTangents(string tstyle;
vector nn, uv;
vector in_utan, in_vtan;
vector out_utan, out_vtan)
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
Staff
1448 posts
looking at $HFS/houdini/vex/include/voplib.h the function signature for vop_computeTangents() is now different. The first argument is a string representing the style. You may get away with using vop_computeTangentsOld() the way you did in H10

EDIT: ah, Graham beat me to it
19 posts
Great! It worked. That was fast help. Thank you rafal and graham.
24 posts
Hey,
I tried to just change vop_computeTangents to vop_computeTangentsOld, but i am still getting errors … invalid numbers/types of arguments used to call ..
Is there anything else I need to do?
I am using H11
Cheers!
Stephen

Attachments:
testt_SM.hipnc (737.2 KB)

10 posts
Hi Guys, I'm following this thread for quite some time now but still didn't manage to make the example scenes work. Anyone managed to make it work for Houdini 11 yet?
53 posts
i've changed the inline code….but still errors , though different warnings from above post. Can someone help please?

Attachments:
inlineError.jpg (87.4 KB)

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?
134 posts
hey guys there is a vex node for this now, you dont need to write one

compute tangents vex node.

hope this is helpful?
10 posts
Hey willh, can you attach a hip file on how you use it?
10 posts
Buzz…Anyone got this working yet in Houdini 11? I'm starting a new project using 3d coat and I'd like to export vector displacement but since now, even though I tried everything you guys suggested I had no luck with it…
Staff
2540 posts
The In-Line VOP is complaining about the vop_computeTangents() function. You can see this clearly when you press the MMB (Middle Mouse Button) on any VOP in that network. Diving in to $HFS/houdini/vex/voplib.h with your favourite text editor (vim rules!) you can see that the function as declared takes an additional first argument not specified in the In-Line VOP code as typed. I suspect the function arguments have changed from H10 but I don't see how as defining the space is critical…

Anyhow, in H11 you can use the Compute Tangents VOP which is a wrapper on top of the vop_computeTangents() function.

It “looks” like this shader is intended to displace surfaces using a tangent space noise as the original geometry and texture map were not supplied in the archive. I re-wired the network replacing the In-Line VOP with the Compute Tangents VOP to displace along uv space or slide the displacements in the direction of the surface. I also added needed input parameters and replaced the parameter VOP importing uv's with the proper Shading Layer VOP,

Attachments:
testt_compute_tangents_vop.hipnc (1006.5 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
10 posts
Thank you Jeff for the quick reply, I 'll thoroughly examine the hip and let you know…
33 posts
Hello guys,
do you have a vector displacement asset you could share?
Best
Artur Mandas

Artist & Developer
http://arturmandas.com [arturmandas.com]
33 posts
Hello guys,
do you have a vector displacement asset you could share?
Best
Artur Mandas

Artist & Developer
http://arturmandas.com [arturmandas.com]
1799 posts
hey guys, reviving this after a while…

there seems to be a nasty problem when computing tangents based on UVs. it appears that this function is computing tangents on primitives as if they were individual disconnected primitives, making seams appear in the final tangent space normal map…. is this something that could potentially be resolved?

thank you!
-G
  • Quick Links