Can someone help me with this explosion pls? (vid included)

2181   2   1
96 posts
Hey guys, ive been studying the pyro tools and voxel based smoke/flame for the last few weeks. Im really wanting to become an fx artist with my strength in rbd's, fluids and dynamics (particles included). I am wondering exactly what is necessary to produce whats in this video? I understand that it seems very fundamental but I do not come across very good tutorials describing how to assemble them in houdini. Could someone give me some pointers or maybe even a tutorial (your own personal or an existing link online) on how to at least get started in making explosions like this one? Explosions are one of the important effects for me to learn so I want to get a good headstart (im about 4 months in the 3d scene). Any help would be appreciated in the highest regards. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RewoGFVspjw [youtube.com]
2624 posts
Hi ,
My personnel view is that more often or not there is not a tutorial for everything you want to do and there never will be. So to actually start learning how to create an effect its good to break down the problem into small chunks . That way if you get stuck or don't understand something its easier for people to help you and its easier for you to ask a specific question.

I would first at look for example files in Houdini that cover some of the problems you think need solving. Under the particles tab the Fireworks tool looks like it could be useful for a deeper look at achieving those trails created in your video. The fireworks tool looks like it has particles emitting from single points which is something that your explosion does.

Best r
Edited by - June 22, 2009 21:49:37
Gone fishing
96 posts
circusmonkey
Hi ,
My personnel view is that more often or not there is not a tutorial for everything you want to do and there never will be. So to actually start learning how to create an effect its good to break down the problem into tiny small chunks . That way if you get stuck or don't understand something its easier for people to help you and its easier for you to ask a specific question.

I would first at look for example files in Houdini that cover some of the problems you think need solving. Under the particles tab the Fireworks tool looks like it could be useful for a deeper look at achieving those trails created in your video.

Best r

Thank you Circusmonkey. That sounds like wisdom to me . I appreciate your prompt response and I will start to study the fireworks tool a little more in depth.

Kindly,

Hairston
  • Quick Links