"cheat code" to XFORM everything in scene?

3610   3   0
35 posts
Hi All,

I have found it increasingly easier (with the help of people answering my questions in this forum, as well as tutorials) to manipulate (translate, rotate, scale) geometries. Parenting makes it even easier to move a group of geometries. Here's where i get snagged:

I have a bunch of .hipnc files where I've modiefied a geometry to my liking in the scene level (before i knew about the xform SOP), but now i want to make it animation ready.

Is there a way (some type of cheat code or secret SOP) to tell houdini,

“Hey, add an xform SOP to all the ”car parts“ and apply all the scene level changes (translate, rotate, scale) to them. AND, leave the scene back to how it was, with no changes.”

Is there a way to do such a thing in houdini?

I find it a lot quicker to manipulate the “car parts” in the scene level because I can use parenting. If I have a car tire thats a parent, and the tire rim as the child, all i have to do is move the tire and I'm ok.

BUT if i go into the geometry level of the tire and move it around, the rim does not move with the parent.

Anyhow, thanks for any input anybody can provide!
8554 posts
to move scene level transforms into geometry level (xform SOP) use Freeze button from Modify shelf

also take look at pre-transforms, which may be what you need sometimes

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/shelf/freeze [sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
why don't you just use an Object Merge node in Sop space?

remember to type a single period without quotes and no spaces in the Transform Object section of the Object merge node
35 posts
Wow thanks for those replys. Sorry it took so long to say thank you for the information. It took me a while to “take it all in.” I really was shocked that Houdini is able to do something like this. once again, holy moly, Houdini truly is a super animation tool that lets you tackle a problem from any possible angle!
  • Quick Links