Pose state?

4536   3   2
87 posts
I'm going through “The Magic of Houdini”, Will Cunningham's book, and he mentions a “basic” practice which completely eludes me, and maybe is something that worked differently in previous versions.

To access Orientation picking he says to enter into “pose state” on a simple cube. I know I can access Orientation picking without any “pose” state. Is this obsolete or does it refer to some specific methodology?

Thanks
Alex
617 posts
use the search i have a post with the same question. a couple months ago.
87 posts
Yeah, but your topic specifically relates to character animation. In the case I was inquiring about he mentionned its use in basic modelling techniques for aligning objects
Staff
2540 posts
The Pose State in Houdini 8 was the default tool you used to manipulate objects and sops with their handles. “y” toggles between all the handles.

In H9 the default method is the Handle Tool. It is similar to the Pose Tool (which is in the Character shelf now). The Pose tool can work with many selected objects presenting a handle per object (with option to move local or global) while the Handle tool gives you a single handle at a time to move the entire selection.

Just use the Handle tool which is the icon below the three translate, rotate and scale icons on the left hand size of the viewport. As with the Pose tool, the “y” hotkey toggles between the various custom handles and the trs handles respectively. Whatever handles are supported by the node you have selected.

Pose only works on Objects and their custom handles (if any).
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links