viewing UV Texture Image in Houdini imported from photoshop

10628   15   1
365 posts
Hi :

I ‘ve painted a UV texture image ( of a grid) in photoshop and exported to houdini’s shop level. I did assign it on color map and on OGL texture layer.
But i still can not view them in the view port without actually rendering them.

How can i view the texture color image in the view port without rendering them.? I can view through render region though. Thank you very much in advance.

Steve
7715 posts
What you describe sounds like it should work except that you don't mention which SHOP (shader op) node you are using. I just tried a default General > Decal from the Material pane and it worked for me. Maybe you have texture display turned off in the display option off?

Try something basic first:
- Create a default Grid from the shelf
- Select all the primitives at the geometry level
- Click on UVQuickShade from the Texture shelf
365 posts
edward
What you describe sounds like it should work except that you don't mention which SHOP (shader op) node you are using. I just tried a default General > Decal from the Material pane and it worked for me. Maybe you have texture display turned off in the display option off?

Thank you very much for responding to my question.
I used “ basic surface ” from general.

Where is the texture display in display option ?
I can't find such an option. Can you further help me ?

Thank you very much again.

Steve
7715 posts
Basic Surface worked for me too (see attached). As for the display option, hit ‘d’ with your mouse in the viewer. Look in Misc > Display Textures.

Attachments:
texture.hipnc (172.7 KB)

1145 posts
When you assign the Basic Surface, with the texture in it, does the geometry turn a dark pink? If so, then the material is working, the colour usually means the path to the texture image is wrong.

Create a new pane tab and launch a Shader viewer and see if the texture image shows there.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
365 posts
edward
Basic Surface worked for me too (see attached). As for the display option, hit ‘d’ with your mouse in the viewer. Look in Misc > Display Textures.

I appreciate your help.
Yes, It's checked already.
Should i check on projected texture and Shadows ?

Steve
Edited by - Nov. 17, 2009 13:28:28
365 posts
probbins
When you assign the Basic Surface, with the texture in it, does the geometry turn a dark pink? If so, then the material is working, the colour usually means the path to the texture image is wrong.

Create a new pane tab and launch a Shader viewer and see if the texture image shows there.

Thank you very much.
I will check it out.

Steve
365 posts
probbins

Yes, I can see all the texture in the shader view.
Those are for a 3 D model and grid for the flaggs i made in houdini.

Yes, geometry turns to pink. Actually, i painted solid pink color for the geo.

I noticed that plain and solid colored layer for the 3D model in the photoshop can be seen OK in houdini viewer.
But, the color i painted on the UV texture of a grid can not bee seen in the houdini viewer.

Would you please further help me ?

Steve
Edited by - Nov. 17, 2009 13:31:33
365 posts
probbins

Yes, It turns to dark pink.
365 posts
edward

I did it. Looks everything is OK.
What should i do next ? Tks

Steve
7715 posts
aplink
edward

What should i do next ?

So you're saying the with the basic setup shows the texture map in your viewport right?

You've tried the display options and “Texture Display” is enabled?

If your answer is yes to both of these questions, then try posting your .hipnc file.
365 posts
edward
aplink
edward

What should i do next ?

So you're saying the with the basic setup shows the texture map in your viewport right?

You've tried the display options and “Texture Display” is enabled?

If your answer is yes to both of these questions, then try posting your .hipnc file.

Here is the hip file for your review.
And, how can i get rid of the rows and columes of the flags when i view the texture in the scene view.

I do not have any problem with other flags and stick to view the texture.
except the rows and columes in the other flag.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Attachments:
TEXTURE_Test.hipnc (344.7 KB)

7715 posts
On your Skin SOP, change the Connectivity to Quadrilaterals. When you have it as Rows & Columns, there is no surface to texture, only wireframe.
365 posts
edward
On your Skin SOP, change the Connectivity to Quadrilaterals. When you have it as Rows & Columns, there is no surface to texture, only wireframe.

Thank you very much.

But, I only can view texture on only one side of the flag with Quadrilaters using smooth shaded and smooth wire shaded.
Wonder why ? May be because i painted only one side of UV in photoshop ? ? ?Would you please help me further.

Thank you so much.

Steve
7715 posts
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Both sides are show the (same) texture map for me.
365 posts
edward
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Both sides are show the (same) texture map for me.

When i flap(rotate) the flags (grid object) i only can see the texture (color) of one side not both side. I wonder why ?

Steve
  • Quick Links