Create new geometry that's aligned to the construction plane

4862   7   1
295 posts
Is this still possible? I found an old od video that mentions this. However I can't seem to get this to work in Houdini.

As I understand it, I should be able to re-align/re-orient the construction plane, and then be able to create new geometry, such as a box, so that the geo is in alignment with the c-plane. Is this still possible and if so, is there something special you need to do?

Thanks!
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
349 posts
Try right-clicking the multi-snap icon on the left side of the viewport, it will bring up the options dialog. Not sure if c-plane snapping is on there anymore though (it's been a while).
295 posts
OK thanks, I'll take a look when I get home. In the meantime, assuming the worst, if you can't do this, is there some other way to accomplish the same thing?
7734 posts
I think the cplane options got moved into the viewport menus in the top-right.
295 posts
I think the cplane options got moved into the viewport menus in the top-right.

Yeah, I found those. I'm able to re-orient/re-align the c-plane, but new objects, at least within a geometry container, don't seem to be created aligned with the c-plane.
7734 posts
They never did.
295 posts
According to the video here (assuming it plays for you)
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/56-movie-construction-plane-modeling/page__view__findpost__p__64368 [forums.odforce.net]

you used to be able to. I don't know what version of Houdini they're using the video, but they do show aligning the c-plane to a face, then creating a curve, with the CV's aligned to the c-plane. Sure would be nice if you could do this now.
7734 posts
Oh, you mean create *curves* on the cplane?

I can't view the .wmv file but here's a screencast using H10.0
http://screencast.com/t/NjZhN2NmMmE [screencast.com]
  • Quick Links