Houdini in Ubuntu 9.10 ?

7302   12   2
37 posts
Did I make a mistake?

I got very excited about the latest Ubuntu release 9.10 and installed it on my Macbook Pro ( dual boot. ). I downloaded and installed houdini apprentice for Ubuntu 9.04. Am I correct in realizing that this won't work? The intall went ok, and I can source the proper setup file. I just can't launch the binary executable.

whoops,
jonah

p.s. how long until we get an install for Ubuntu 9.10?
Staff
181 posts
Please check this thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=17445 [sidefx.com]
3 posts
freejonah
Did I make a mistake?

I got very excited about the latest Ubuntu release 9.10 and installed it on my Macbook Pro ( dual boot. ). I downloaded and installed houdini apprentice for Ubuntu 9.04. Am I correct in realizing that this won't work? The intall went ok, and I can source the proper setup file. I just can't launch the binary executable.

whoops,
jonah

p.s. how long until we get an install for Ubuntu 9.10?

I run Houdini on Red Hat Fedora 12 and everything works perfectly. I think you may find you need to create certain environment variables (the purpose of ‘source houdini_setup’) and than create a shell script that does this automatically for you.

Im not too familiar with Ubuntu but Im pretty sure the process is the same, if not similar.
Create a new shell script and use this code:

#!/bin/bash
cd <insert your install file path here>
source houdini_setup_bash
houdini

What this does is auto sources your file and than launches the program. From the way I understood your post this is the answer to your problem, I think…

- Evan
Red Hat Fedora 12 | Intel Core2Quad | Geforce 9600GT 2GB VRAM | 4GB RAM

Freelance FX Technical Director | www.ParticleFlow.net
7713 posts
freejonah
The intall went ok, and I can source the proper setup file. I just can't launch the binary executable.

This is probably because you downloaded the 64-bit version of Houdini for Ubuntu 9.04 instead of the 32-bit version.
20 posts
Hi

]I just installed Houdini(Apprentice 32) on Ubuntu. Everything works fine except that the screen update is very chokky-laggy when I try to rotate my scene with space+left mouse. It feels like the navigation just does not want to work.

When I press Esc and rotate my scene with mouse, it is just fine. I really have no idea what might cause such weird issue.]

I am using it on macbook pro

Any ideas?

thanks
7713 posts
Go into your Appearance(?) preferences at the ubuntu menu at the top. Find the Visual Effects tab and set it to none. Restart Houdini.
20 posts
Hi
Thanks for the quick follow up.

That did not resolve my problem unfortunately. I also disabled compiz, that did not change the result either.
7713 posts
Video driver issue then?
20 posts
Yeah it is probable then. I am on Nvidia 185 on Karmic
20 posts
Just for the record, I have found the culprit. It was a mouse application that I have installed sometime ago called “mouseemu”. Uninstalling it resolved the problem. It is quite weird that this thing only caused problem under Houdini. Anyways it seems to work now. This was an easy fix.
7713 posts
That's good to know. I've taken the liberty to start a community wiki page for incompatible software:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/IncompatibleSoftware [odforce.net]
7713 posts
You might also want to log a bug with them to see if they might know what's going on. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mouseemu/+bugs?field.status:list=NEW [bugs.launchpad.net]
20 posts
edward, thanks for the effort. I will add to the list when I hit offending apps.
  • Quick Links