artifacts from AO baking

5951   6   1
295 posts
I was able to generate an AO map that conforms to my UVs, however there are areas in the image that seem to have artifacts.

The UV's look something like this:

When it's rendered it looks something like this (camera is inside mesh at 0,0,0):

Camera is outside mesh, looking at it:

In both shots, there are square chunks in the rear view (the lower left corner) that don't seem to correspond to anything. I don't know why they show up, or how to get rid of them.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
4261 posts
If you are using the Occlusion Material to bake out your occlusion pass make sure you go into the VOPnet and wire in N into the Occlusion VOP's N input. If you don't it defaults to normalize(frontface(N, I)) which results in view dependent shading. Unless you are trying to do something sneaky view dependent shading is bad when doing texture baking.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
295 posts
OK, thanks! I'll try that when I get home. I did not have any material assigned when I did this last night, so perhaps that was the problem.
295 posts
Wolfwood
If you are using the Occlusion Material

Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/gallery/shop/material/occlusion_displacement [sidefx.com]

Cheers

Jim
4261 posts
jimc
Wolfwood
If you are using the Occlusion Material

Is this what you're referring to?
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/gallery/shop/material/occlusion_displacement [sidefx.com]

Cheers

Jim

Maybe? You tell me, how are you rendering occlusion? What shader are you using? Since you say you aren't using any shader I suspect you using the gilight shader, correct?

Primitive normals might also be reversed.
Edited by - Dec. 30, 2009 13:50:32
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
295 posts
Yeah, sorry for the lack of detail. I'm using a Light Template, with it's shader set to a VEX Global Illumination shader. No material on the geo object. No other light source enabled.
295 posts
Wolfwood
using the Occlusion Material

Wow, that worked like a charm, after your fix for adding the Normal! THanks so much! The rest of the artifacts were overlapping UV's, once I started fixing those, it looked much better. Again, thanks alot for this!
  • Quick Links