Meshlights and Houdini

3273   4   2
57 posts
I have just started to learn Houdini Apprentice HD 10 and I am wondering if there is something similar to Meshlights that are in Yafaray renderer for Blender 3D? Would using a Glow Material somehow be it?
To be more specific I am wanting to create an object say a lightbulb(various types), or just having an object glow that shades an area surrounding the glowing volume. Can this be done in 3D or in the Compositor somehow?
DJ

Attachments:
meshlightBI.png (197.9 KB)

“Nothing is just Black & White”- look at the Yin/Yang symbol
57 posts
I was just doing some research through the H10 Doc's and I was thinking what if I parent the object say the standard cube to a Light object or vice versa? and maybe using a glow shader node if necessary?

DJ
1390 posts
DJ_BOXER
I was just doing some research through the H10 Doc's and I was thinking what if I parent the object say the standard cube to a Light object or vice versa? and maybe using a glow shader node if necessary?
DJ

This is a global illumination effect, which means that a surface properties of an object affects surrounding environment. To enable GI in Mantra you need either Global Illumination Light Shader applied on one of your lights or PBR Mantra mode turned on. Additionally, since you expect your surface emits quite amount of energy out of a scene, you should make sure, its colour is enough strong to let us see it. Make it hight above 1.
57 posts
This is a global illumination effect, which means that a surface properties of an object affects surrounding environment. To enable GI in Mantra you need either Global Illumination Light Shader applied on one of your lights or PBR Mantra mode turned on. Additionally, since you expect your surface emits quite amount of energy out of a scene, you should make sure, its colour is enough strong to let us see it. Make it hight above 1.

Thanks SYmek,
I'll try this out when I get home on my computer that has Houdini.
DJ
57 posts
I found the information that I was looking for in Peter Quints Tutorials on Vimeo: PBR 1-4.

DJ
  • Quick Links