Point pass render (world space)

9134   8   3
33 posts
Hi All,

I have searched the forum under a variety of names, but have yet to come accross anything that mentions how to render a Point Pass (world space) out of Houdini. It's quite possible that I'm just not searching for the correct term.

I found the following information for Maya (from the Sphere vfx website)

http://www.spherevfx.com/html/trainingArticles01.html#10 [spherevfx.com]

The image attached shows the pass I'm after (right image).

I would like to find a way to render the same pass out of Houdini if possible.

Any suggestions, directions, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments:
pointPass_01.jpg (59.9 KB)

Quality Assurance
The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.
192 posts
Hey ya'll. If you follow the instructions in the docs to export a shader variable you can do this.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/rendering/deeprasters [sidefx.com]

The parameter can be named whatever you want (as long as on the Mantra ROP you enter the same name in the Extra Image Planes parm). You should plug into it the following:

Attachments:
ptworld.png (182.2 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
The more common approach to dumping out P and N in to new channels or extra image layers for comp is to go to the mantra ROP Output Driver, enable a couple export channels and then using the preset menu arrow on the right to set one channel to dump out N and one to dump out P.

P and N will be in world Camera space which works for what you want to do. Looking at the maya tutorial it doesn't look like there is a need to generate world scene P. If you did, then you need to do what Brian showed above.

You also want to set the pixel filter to closest sampling (minmax min) and 32 bit float as the output so as not to get any antialiasing on the edges.

The Maya approach from that web site most certainly looks like it is anti-aliasing the edges of the P layer. How bad is that? Very. If you anti-alias the P channel, you don't actually have a real P value there but a blurred nonsense value that will cause errors in the Nuke composite.
There's at least one school like the old school!
33 posts
Thank you for the information guys, it's much appreciated!
Quality Assurance
The Foundry Visionmongers Ltd.
523 posts
brianBurke
Hey ya'll. If you follow the instructions in the docs to export a shader variable you can do this.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/rendering/deeprasters [sidefx.com]

The parameter can be named whatever you want (as long as on the Mantra ROP you enter the same name in the Extra Image Planes parm). You should plug into it the following:

hello

I want an extra image plane with the Worldspace pass.
How can I fo this with the Mantrasurface material?

thanks,

bern
2624 posts
Add a parameter and set to export as shown in the shader for other exported paramters

Rob
Gone fishing
523 posts
circusmonkey
Add a parameter and set to export as shown in the shader for other exported paramters

Rob

thanks circusmonkey,

but where can I find those exported parameters?

Is it possible to post an example hip?

bern
9 posts
Hi
Hope it is right

Attachments:
Worldspace pass.hipnc (105.6 KB)

523 posts
thanks matkin

bern
  • Quick Links