Gravity having no effect on Mass parameter rigidbody?

3458   3   1
678 posts
I am trying to tweak the mass and density parameters in the ‘physical’ tab of my RBD Object but it seems to be having no effect. I have a simple setup of two balls with different masses and densities falling from the same height under gravity. They both hit the floor at the same instant? Any help in this regard. How do I make a rigid body light or heavy for forces to have different influences?
1390 posts
ravindra.dwivedi
I am trying to tweak the mass and density parameters in the ‘physical’ tab of my RBD Object but it seems to be having no effect. I have a simple setup of two balls with different masses and densities falling from the same height under gravity. They both hit the floor at the same instant? Any help in this regard. How do I make a rigid body light or heavy for forces to have different influences?

It seems to be physically correct. Both balls would fall with the same speed. What would change is a force they interact with each other. You may check it bouncing those two different masses together. How different they react if you change their masses.

edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Apollo_15_feather_and_hammer_drop.ogg [en.wikipedia.org]

nasa rules!
678 posts
Thanks, you are absolutely correct. I should have added the drag force to have them fall at different times.
Let me know if you know the answer to this query. I am trying to have rigid bodies be affected by the same forces as that on particles. So if I have a particle being acted upon by a metaball force field, I want the rigidbody to do the same. Since SOPs and DOPs have different set of forces I cannot do that. Any solutions?
862 posts
The force of gravity perfectly balances with the inertia of mass, so the net speed is the same for every object.

If you want the net effect to be different you can either use a uniform force, or a different gravity force for various objects.
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links