Modelling Help

4464   6   0
4 posts
Hi,

I'm a student new to Houdini 6 and I'm trying to model a tank for a project I'm doing. What I want to do is make some tracks that revolve around a curve I have already drawn to simulate the tracks movement. I have made an individual track piece and want to copy this all the way around the curve and then make each piece animate around this curve - I've tried many ways to no avail.

The only clear way I can see of doing it is by making an object for each track segment and them setting it to follow the curve path I have drawn. The problem with is is that I have about 40 pieces for each side, so when I want to move my tank I have to change each of the settings manually for 80 odd objects.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks.
1631 posts
Hi there,

Please search for answers to your question in this forum or over at odforce [odforce.net]. If I don't remember wrongly, there was also a mailing list thread & you can search through it here [sidefx.com].

Cheers!
steven
4 posts
Thanks for the reply!

I have indeed trawled through those resources but to no avail. At odforce there is mention of a thread with some help in it but I cannot seem to find any trace of it now, no matter where/how I look.
7715 posts
Did you remember to search for posts “from the beginning” instead of the default last 30 days?
4 posts
I certainly did. I also trawled through all the posts of this year but couldn't find it. If you can by all means look and post here
7715 posts
Try this thread:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?s=92387d083155732069c74a1ad8a7e501&act=ST&f=21&t=640&hl=311 [odforce.net]
4 posts
Thanks mate - thats just what I needed. The only adjustment I would like to make is to use more complex track pieces rather than tubes. This would work were is not for the normals. I need the normals of the curve the pieces are along to point upwards not outwards so that the track pieces apprear at the correct angle to the curve. For now tho I will stick with tubes but if anyone has any suggestions…
  • Quick Links