How do I import geometry from other applications

6097   10   4
12 posts
I am brand new to Houdini.
I have created a model in another 3D application, and can export it in a variety of formats - note: the model I want to import was originally created in Google Sketchup.

I need a tutorial on how to perform this import.
Any suggestions where I might go for this?

Thanks.
130 posts
Hi,

See the screenshot. At least 3 different ways:
- use File/Import
- use Create Shelf -> File
- use Network editor -> Tab menu -> Geometry -> Autocreated File Node.

Oh, and try using the OBJ or FBX format for export/import

Hope this helps,
Greg

Attachments:
import_obj_geometry.png (54.8 KB)

12 posts
That's what I am trying - but it doesn't work.
Watch this 1 minute screen capture to see what I'm doing ..

http://issues.videvent.com/houdini/07_29_10_1 [issues.videvent.com]

Thanks.
130 posts
Hi again,

My first guess: the $ in the filename might make H11 get confused, as the numbers get automagically matched to proper frame numbers. Get rid of the “show sequence as one” flag in the file open dialog, to force the actual numbers to be displayed and imported.

If this does not work, try checking out what error the node editor shows - your sceencast did not show that part of the H11 interface.

Cheers,
Greg
2199 posts
Yeah $F will get changed to the current frame number so if you aren't on a frame number that matches your input sequence the file sop will throw an error and not display anything. Looked like you had 7 objs in a sequence.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
12 posts
Thanks both of you.
I unchecked the “show sequence as one” flag as you suggested, and still nothing.'

I wonder if the scale is so small it's not visible at the default zoom?
Not that it should be.

I have not figured out how to zoom in here yet - the scroll wheel doesn't do it, and I don't see any zoom icons on the UI - think I need to do the introductory tutorials.

I just wanted to see how this model would look right out of the box.
12 posts
Here's the OBJ file - maybe someone should see if they can open it?
The “network” approach is new to me, though I am drawn to the possibilities in Houdini, I probably have a lot to learn. My main 3D modeling experience is with Sketchup - a completely different modeling environment.

Anyway, if you can open it, maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong here.

Thank again.

Attachments:
R7.zip (248.9 KB)

45 posts
Hi, it seems that your model is simply too big and not at the origin
Try to fit the view after loading it (Space+G)
130 posts
Hi mendocinotim,

I think you are doing everything OK. Just make sure that the file name dialog shows the actual digit in the filename, rather than the $ sign - as this was the most obvious problem in your case. And, as John said, “Space-G” to home on the selected geometry - or just use your mouse to zoom out enough to see the geometry.

Anyway, once you load the file, go to the network editor, dbl-click (or hit “I”, or “Enter” on the Geometry node that was created, and once you are inside, middle-click the file node to see the summary of the contents of the node.

You can also right-click and display the “Spreadsheet” information, showing you details about each point of your geometry - see attached screenshot.

Cheers,
Greg

Attachments:
spreadsheet.png (56.3 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
I import sketchUp files quite frequently in to Houdini. I use the Pro version of SketchUp and it has FBX export. Use that. This brings the SketchUp fbx file in to Houdini where each component/group is an object which is quite nice. Best to organize the file on the SketchUp side by material>component/group.

It also shades nicer but as you are probably aware, sketchup geometry can be pretty difficult to work with. Having said that, SketchUp v6 and v7 fbx export comes in well enough in to latest builds of H10 and H11 that you can apply shaders and render with Mantra and no nasty shading artifacts. Vertex Normal support is nice.

Btw the Google SketchUp on-line library is a fantastic repository of models for furniture, architectural buildings and more. Check it out.
There's at least one school like the old school!
12 posts
jeff
I import sketchUp files quite frequently in to Houdini. I use the Pro version of SketchUp and it has FBX export. Use that. This brings the SketchUp fbx file in to Houdini where each component/group is an object which is quite nice. Best to organize the file on the SketchUp side by material>component/group.

It also shades nicer but as you are probably aware, sketchup geometry can be pretty difficult to work with. Having said that, SketchUp v6 and v7 fbx export comes in well enough in to latest builds of H10 and H11 that you can apply shaders and render with Mantra and no nasty shading artifacts. Vertex Normal support is nice.

Btw the Google SketchUp on-line library is a fantastic repository of models for furniture, architectural buildings and more. Check it out.

Jeff,

Thanks for the FBX export suggestion.
I too use the pro version of Sketchup 7.0.

I have to break from this for a day or so, as I have paid work to do on another project - but, I plan to return to this just as soon as I can.

I will also do the beginner's tutorials before I pursue this further.
I'll be back to this, and will let you know how it goes ASAP.

Thanks to everyone that has responded to this post -
This is a great forum, and I am excited to start learning Houdini.
  • Quick Links