deep camera maps

4979   2   3
33 posts
I've been attempting to mess around with deep camera maps. The docs mention that the Deep Resolver parameter in the ROP should be set to “Deep Shadow Map” (rather than “Deep Camera Map”, which is in fact an option). When I do this, I get what appears to be a deep shadow map (i.e. no color info). Two files are output: 1) the Output Picture, which has either 1 or 0 in the color channel, and a sensible alpha, and 2) the DSM Filename, which has Pz only.

When I set Deep Resolver to “Deep Camera Map”, I get what looks like a normal Output Picture, and no secondary file.

Has anyone got DCM's working? Tips?
77 posts
I'm seeing the same thing with deep camera map.
The file size is like a regular deep shadow map, but I can't view it in mplay.
Does anyone know a way to view a dcm?
133 posts
There is a DSM Flatten COP, but a regular ol' File Cop should work.

From the docs –
Deep camera maps are useful for rendering beauty images rendered from a camera.

Deep camera maps work similarly to deep shadow maps, but each pixel stores multiple “channels” of information for each surface “hit” by the light ray.

A standard deep shadow map (DSM) stores two channels per “record” (hit surface): The Pz channel stores the z-depth associated with the record, and the Of channel stores the cumulative opacity at that z-depth. A deep camera map, in addition to the Pz and Of channels, stores all planes for each Z-record.

Because a DCM stores color, opacity, and depth, you can use it to render out scenes with transparency (such as volumes) and then composite the rendered DCMs together with correct depth compositing.
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
  • Quick Links