RFE: Houdini docs online

6992   5   1
543 posts
Hi,

Maybe this has been requested before, but wouldn't it be nice if the Houdini docs were available online on the SESI site?

Derivative does this for Touch (and other 3D apps do to):

http://www.derivativeinc.com/Tools/Touch000/TouchDocs.html [derivativeinc.com]

And … wouldn't it be grand to have the HDK docs and DOxygenated HDK header files too!

HDK for free! :-)

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
Staff
3455 posts
Vislab used to have the install files extracted - the docs could be read…but they stopped doing this a while ago….
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
1182 posts
Mark,

Why would you need the documentation online when the latest docs are installed with Houdini? Is there anything you are missing?
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
543 posts
Hi Robert,

Only for a matter of convienance. I was wanting to look some stuff up but don't have Houdini installed on the laptop I'm using and went over to Derivative's site to look up a few SOPs. So obviously not a hot priority, but would helpful. It would be easy to, as most of the docs are in HTML already, so it would be just a matter of pushing the new/revised docs up to the SESI site.

The DOxy'd HDK docs are a life saver for programmers, but having to generate them every so often when a new release comes out can be a task automated and pushed to the SESI site easily too.

BTW: When I say “HDK for free”, I mean as in bundled with each Houdini project, not a freebie per se.

Have a good holiday Robert! :-)

–Mark
543 posts
rmagee
Is there anything you are missing?

But now that you ask … :roll:

What about that Houdini book we were talking about at the last SIGGRAPH Houdini user meeting … :-)

Is SESI-Santa going to leave something in my stocking this year?

It would be *so* welcome! Hint-Hint …

–Mark
412 posts
I've kinda run in to this before. Where I wish I could look up something in the docs for reasons like mark said. or sometimes I don't wan't to have to install the newest version but am interested in reading an updated doc to see what new features have been included with detailed descriptions of use. and possibly even learn about it before i actually do use the upgraded version.

thanks,
dave
Dave Quirus
  • Quick Links