Viewport rotation pb: loosing vertical axis

4471   3   3
71 posts
Hello,

I moved to Houdini 11 recently and I face this problem: when I do a point of view rotation in the 3D viewport (by pressing the left mouse button), the Y axis is not vertical anymore… The view is quickly upside down and it is very disturbing.

I tried to change the Tumbling method in the Preferences, but it didn't change anything.

How can I go back to the rotation style where the vertical axis stays vertical?

Thx a lot
Video Game Graphics TD
Staff
2540 posts
You went to the right place in the Preferences > 3D Viewports > Tumbling Method and set it to 80's Style Euler Tumbling.

Did you press “Apply” at the bottom of the Preferences Dialog?
There's at least one school like the old school!
71 posts
Thank you for the confirmation I was at the right place.

Did you press “Apply” at the bottom of the Preferences Dialog?
Of course, I tried this. But I hope pressing “Accept” without pressing “Apply” leads to the same result (which seem to be the case, btw), otherwise it's very confusing.

I found why I still had trouble after setting the 80's value: the vertical axis is not reset to the Y axis and the one used is based on a vector which is vertical at the moment of the parameter change. In other words, if the scene is upside down when the 80's parameter is applied, a rotation of the viewport will not put the Y axis at the expected orientation, so we think the parameter change has not been taken in account.

To really see the difference, the parameter change has to be done in a completely new scene.
Video Game Graphics TD
617 posts
yep i got that issue before.
i open another Houdini session and copy paste the nodes to that one.
  • Quick Links